"elmina castle" Elmina by hanspeter_W.
Elmina Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 231 photos
take an impressive tour through the elmina castle..cape coast casle is simular but always worth to visit both
Elmina Castle was erected by the Portuguese in 1482 as São Jorge da Mina (St. George of the Mine) Castle, also known simply as Mina or Feitoria da Mina) in present-day Elmina, Ghana (formerly the Gold Coast). It was the first trading post built on the Gulf of Guinea, so is the oldest European building in existence below the Sahara. First established as a trade settlement, the castle later became one of the most important stops on the route of the Atlantic Slave Trade. The Dutch seized the fort from the Portuguese in 1637, and took over all the Portuguese Gold Coast in 1642. The slave trade continued under the Dutch until 1871 when the fort became a possession of the British Empire. Britain granted the Gold Coast its independence in 1957, and control of the castle was transferred to the nation formed out of the colony, present-day Ghana. Today it is a popular historical site, and was a major filming location for Werner Herzog's Cobra Verde. The castle is recognized by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
hundreds of people were waiting in one small dark cold room waiting for the ship taking them over to the americas
the best and most price value food in whole ghana ..various seafood btu also locla specialities in amazing quality and... more travel advice
beside elmina castle the most important slavery castle in west africa, visited also recently by obama even simular to... more travel advice
hanspeter_W.'s Related Pages
Elmina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Another "Slave - Castle" on the "Gold Coast""
- "Elmina, Dutch remains in Ghana"
- "elmina castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Elmina
- Hotels in Elmina
- Transportation in Elmina
- Restaurants in Elmina
- Shopping in Elmina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Elmina
- 10 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (14)
Have you been to Elmina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Elmina
Top 10 Pages
- State of Sabah Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kenya Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos
- Arusha Intro, 13 reviews, 52 photos
- Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Gonder Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos
- South Korea Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uganda Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bohol Intro, 12 reviews, 40 photos
- Phuket Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos