"HARAR - HOLY MUSLIM CITY IN ETHIOPIA" Harer by hanspeter_W.
Harer Travel Guide: 49 reviews and 678 photos
The city is located on a hilltop, in the eastern extension of the Ethiopian highlands about five hundred kilometers from Addis Ababa with an elevation of 1,885 meters
For centuries, Harar has been a major commercial centre, linked by the trade routes with the rest of Ethiopia, the entire Horn of Africa, the Arabian Peninsula, and, through its ports, the outside world.
Harar Jugol has been included in the World Heritage List in 2006 by UNESCO in recognition of its cultural heritage. According to UNESCO, it is "considered 'the fourth holy city' of Islam" with 82 mosques, three of which date from the 10th century, and 102 shrines.
Harar is also famous for its distinctive, natural processed coffees which bear the same name
- Pros:FREE OPEN AIR MUSEUM
- Cons:POOR IN GOOD ACCOMMODATIONS
- In a nutshell:A MUST TO SEE IN ETHIOPIA TRAVEL
one of the most special experience is to feed the hyenas, evreytime by 7 pm a bit outside of center of harar teh hyenas... more travel advice
hanspeter_W.'s Related Pages
Harer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where is Mr Rimbaud's house?"
- "HANDS ON HARER"
- "Muslim Ethiopia"
- "HARAR - HOLY MUSLIM CITY IN ETHIOPIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Harer
- Hotels in Harer
- Transportation in Harer
- Restaurants in Harer
- Shopping in Harer
- Warnings and Dangers in Harer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harer
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Harer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harer
Photos in HarerSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- State of Sabah Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kenya Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos
- Burma Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Gonder Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos
- South Korea Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uganda Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bohol Intro, 12 reviews, 40 photos
- Phuket Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos
- Nicaragua Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos