"one of best colonial towns in colombia" Popayán by hanspeter_W.
Popayán Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 381 photos
Popayán, one of the most beautiful and treasured colonial cities of Colombia, is the capital of Cauca Department founded at the foot of Volcán Puracé, in 1537 by Sebastián Belalcázar, a Spanish adventurer seeking the famed El Dorado.
Situated in the Andean cordillera halfway between Bogota and Quito, (see interactive map from Expedia, it soon drew settlers who established sugar plantations in the Cauca river valley. The mild climate attracted others and the town became an important religious center with many churches, monasteries and seminaries, as well as a prosperous trade center. Much of the activity of the area is recorded in the Popayán Papers, correspondence between the inter-related members of the local aristocracy, plus patriotic writings from Colombia's struggle for independence.
- Pros:beautiful colonial town
hanspeter_W.'s Related Pages
Popayán Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "On Finding the Pipián in Popayán"
- "Popayan - white is beautiful!"
- "Popayan - The white city"
- "Ciudad Blanca"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Popayán
- Hotels in Popayán
- Transportation in Popayán
- Nightlife in Popayán
- Restaurants in Popayán
- Shopping in Popayán
- Warnings and Dangers in Popayán
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Popayán
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Popayán?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Popayán
Top 10 Pages
- State of Sabah Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kenya Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos
- Burma Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Gonder Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos
- South Korea Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uganda Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bohol Intro, 12 reviews, 40 photos
- Phuket Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos
- Nicaragua Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos