"town at source of river Nile" Jinja District by hanspeter_W.
Jinja District Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 61 photos
Jinja lies on the shores of Lake Victoria and is chockablock with old Asian-style buildings, reflecting the days when the town had a sizeable Asian community. The town was virtually owned by Asians until Idi Amin unceremoniously kicked them out of the country. Many of them have started to return and the town is once again becoming prosperous. Jinja is also one of the spots on which Mahatma Gandhi chose to have his ashes scattered. A statue commemorates Gandhi at a Hindu temple near town.
Jinja is close to the Owen Falls Dam, a hydroelectric station which supplies Uganda with the bulk of its electricity. The main Kampala to Jinja road runs across the top of the dam, and the railway line crosses on a bridge close by. Before the building of the Owen Falls Dam, the Source of the Nile was Ripon Falls, where the Nile left Lake Victoria on its way to the Mediterranean. The falls were inundated by the waters of the dam, but you can still make out where they used to be from the turbulence.
Jinja is about 60km (37mi) north-east of Kampala and is easily accessible by bus, taxi or train.
ENJOY THE PEACE IN THE NATURE AT KINGFISHER..AT RIVER NILE more travel advice
hanspeter_W.'s Related Pages
Jinja District Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Source of Nile"
- "Jinja - Birth place of the Mighty Nile!"
- "Source of the Nile"
- "town at source of river Nile"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Jinja District
- Hotels in Jinja District
- Transportation in Jinja District
- Nightlife in Jinja District
- Warnings and Dangers in Jinja District
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jinja District
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Jinja District?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jinja District
Photos in Jinja DistrictSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- State of Sabah Intro, 23 reviews, 72 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kenya Intro, 25 reviews, 53 photos
- Burma Intro, 16 reviews, 42 photos
- Gonder Intro, 13 reviews, 44 photos
- Cartagena Intro, 11 reviews, 45 photos
- South Korea Intro, 11 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Uganda Intro, 26 reviews, 27 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bohol Intro, 12 reviews, 40 photos
- Phuket Intro, 10 reviews, 36 photos
- Nicaragua Intro, 11 reviews, 31 photos