"West Montrose" Elmira by nighthawk
Elmira Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 22 photos
Just a dot on the map, and just as St. Jacob part of Mennonite country, lies West Montrose and his covered bridge.
Known locally as the "Kissing Bridge," this covered bridge was built in 1881 by John and Sam Bear for the Woolwich Town Council. Total length of the bridge is 208.5 feet, and this includes the covered portions on each end which extend six feet over the approaches.
Covered bridges were originally designed so that the roofs would preserve the wooden roadbeds from weather and rot: and the sides would calm skittish horses, apt to become nervous at the sight of flowing water.
This covered bridge is the only surviving covered bridge in Ontario.
It was built in 1881 at a cost of just over $3,000, the bridge carries a local township road over the Grand River North of Waterloo.
Because they were afraid the old oil lantern illumination might set the bridge on fire electric lighting was installed in 1950.
A major repair program was carried out in 1952 by the Ministry and in 1965 the bridge was reinforced internally with a hidden Bailey Bridge.
It was quite difficult to do because of the historical significance of the bridge.
Where possible materials and form similar to the original construction.
Take your time and photograph the bridge from each angle. Especially when you have a digital camera it sure is worth the... more travel advice
There are dust roads in this area so perhaps it s a good idea to try a buggy? Ops, you ll need a horse too of... more travel advice
nighthawk's Related Pages
Elmira Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Elmira
- Transportation in Elmira
- Nightlife in Elmira
- Warnings and Dangers in Elmira
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Elmira
- 11 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Elmira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Elmira
Photos in ElmiraSee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues