"Sleepless in Stayner..." Stayner by nighthawk

Stayner Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 112 photos

Stayner August 2002 and June 2005

Stayner, but a little village an hour and a half from Toronto (to the north) but I have fallen in love with it! Mostly of course because my brother & sistah live here but thanks to them I became friends with friends of them.
I am pretty sure this can always be my home from home .. as my home will always be their home from home if needed :-D!

Stayner is located in a very beautiful area of Ontaria, near Toronto, Wasaga beach and the blue mountains (I think they are called that lol). And of course lots of nice little villages one can visit when taking a roadtrip.

Weather forecast

I'm the worst person to fly next to - I gasp, and scream, and cry, and arghh.. am regularly overpowered by the certainty my plane is going to dive any minute now and i'm living in borrowed time... and that's in perfect weather... taking offs are worst especially in those longer planes that need the steep angle... and landing in hot countries is more turbulent than in cold (so no worry here for Belgium -- it's been raining and will be raining). My tips are:
- don't drink alcohol -- the dehydration makes it 100 times worse, and your nervious system is overcharged.
- Avoid citrus (organge, lemon, etc.) and have Ginger Ale to calm your stomach;
- Avoid heavy foods -- go for the vegetarian meal; on shorter flights, don't eat at all;
- For long flights, don't sleep much the night before -- lack of sleep and all the nerves will actually make you sleep... and there is nothing better than that;
- ask for a seat in the wing area, as the turbulence is felt much less. If you are sitted at the back of the plane, keep reminding yourself the turbulence is just exaggerated because you are at the tail (besides, the tail they say is the safest).
- tune to the calm music (channel 4 on UA) as soon as you are in your seat prior to take off;
- remember that there are few perfectly natural turbulance spots on the way over to Europe -- just as you leave the mainland Canada and fly over New Foundland... and just as you reach Ireland... it has to do w/ ocean winds hitting the landmass
- get a stress ball -- my b/f gave me one after e go tired of my squeezing his hand ;-)
- think of something nice -- a loved one or a fave spot... it calms the mind...
- look around at the airport -- it takes your mind off unpleasant thougths as well as relieves the physical tensions... ultimately, whenever you panic, it's the 'flight or fight' syndrome so the best thing is to find a physical outlet for the energy your body releases -- walk around the plane (I make 20 rounds in the main cabin every two hours... sure it look sweird, but it helps me!).

Tips Scarlie gave in the forum..

This next adress can come in handy if you plan to visit Stayner or its surrounding area.

http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/scripts/citygen.pl?client=ECCDN_e&city=WCU ---> weather forecast Barrie

• Pros:wait till I get back! tho I believe there s a Horton just round the corner :)
  • Cons:it s ever so far away!
  • In a nutshell:no more fear of flying after this trip! i hope :)
  • Last visit to Stayner: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 15, 2005

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2005 at 8:44 PM

Hallo schatje you really crack me up Roelienchen Pizza ,chocolate fill yourself and then go and exerzise eh very smart indeed . Don't ask me why I just visited this page no I can't answer that I am here nowww Daggggggg

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2003 at 4:08 PM

All roads seemed to lead to Stayner haha, right now! Especially if one notice local customs :-)

• vrage's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2003 at 1:31 PM

lol@customs, I would thought that was Jacobs fridge -until I saw the price tags!

• heplion's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2003 at 8:40 AM

Intersting town! Traveled a bit through ONtario, but never here..

• mlt_t's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2002 at 10:45 PM

wow!!! being a great photographer is already in your blood. Awesome page and fabulous pics and great info! (",)

• hayward68's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2002 at 4:32 PM

Looks like you found the good place to shop in Stayner ;-)

• pollon's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2002 at 3:39 PM

chocolate... mmm... good remedy against flying fear... can I get some even if I like flying??? have enjoyed your page soooooo much!!!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2002 at 4:56 PM

I am glad you are enjoying the truffels so much :-))))
    Hahaha, I better hurry, otherwise you will have more about Stayner than I do ;-)

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2002 at 5:16 PM

Welcome to Canada, and with such close newly arrived and well setled new Canadians, you're to have a BLAST ;-)))

• La_Holandesa's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2002 at 4:37 PM

Wish u the most wonderful trip!! Please say Hi!!!! And yes, is great to travel alone ..but come back ok? we have to meet again..:)

nighthawk

“C'est la Vie!”

Badges & Stats in Stayner

Have you been to Stayner?

Latest Activity in Stayner