"Sleepless in Stayner..." Stayner by nighthawk
Stayner Travel Guide: 35 reviews and 112 photos
Stayner, but a little village an hour and a half from Toronto (to the north) but I have fallen in love with it! Mostly of course because my brother & sistah live here but thanks to them I became friends with friends of them.
I am pretty sure this can always be my home from home .. as my home will always be their home from home if needed :-D!
Stayner is located in a very beautiful area of Ontaria, near Toronto, Wasaga beach and the blue mountains (I think they are called that lol). And of course lots of nice little villages one can visit when taking a roadtrip.
I'm the worst person to fly next to - I gasp, and scream, and cry, and arghh.. am regularly overpowered by the certainty my plane is going to dive any minute now and i'm living in borrowed time... and that's in perfect weather... taking offs are worst especially in those longer planes that need the steep angle... and landing in hot countries is more turbulent than in cold (so no worry here for Belgium -- it's been raining and will be raining). My tips are:
- don't drink alcohol -- the dehydration makes it 100 times worse, and your nervious system is overcharged.
- Avoid citrus (organge, lemon, etc.) and have Ginger Ale to calm your stomach;
- Avoid heavy foods -- go for the vegetarian meal; on shorter flights, don't eat at all;
- For long flights, don't sleep much the night before -- lack of sleep and all the nerves will actually make you sleep... and there is nothing better than that;
- ask for a seat in the wing area, as the turbulence is felt much less. If you are sitted at the back of the plane, keep reminding yourself the turbulence is just exaggerated because you are at the tail (besides, the tail they say is the safest).
- tune to the calm music (channel 4 on UA) as soon as you are in your seat prior to take off;
- remember that there are few perfectly natural turbulance spots on the way over to Europe -- just as you leave the mainland Canada and fly over New Foundland... and just as you reach Ireland... it has to do w/ ocean winds hitting the landmass
- get a stress ball -- my b/f gave me one after e go tired of my squeezing his hand ;-)
- think of something nice -- a loved one or a fave spot... it calms the mind...
- look around at the airport -- it takes your mind off unpleasant thougths as well as relieves the physical tensions... ultimately, whenever you panic, it's the 'flight or fight' syndrome so the best thing is to find a physical outlet for the energy your body releases -- walk around the plane (I make 20 rounds in the main cabin every two hours... sure it look sweird, but it helps me!).
This next adress can come in handy if you plan to visit Stayner or its surrounding area.
http://weatheroffice.ec.gc.ca/scripts/citygen.pl?client=ECCDN_e&city=WCU ---> weather forecast Barrie
- Pros:wait till I get back! tho I believe there s a Horton just round the corner :)
- Cons:it s ever so far away!
- In a nutshell:no more fear of flying after this trip! i hope :)
Try to become friends with my brother's in laws lol his mother in law makes a great brekkie! Kept me going for a whole... more travel advice
If needed you can perform here, even at nite time :-). Written on a plaque: Lion s Gazebo, donated by Stayner Lions Club... more travel advice
- Two traffic lights!
- Stayner's best guest house!
- See All The front of Presbyterian church
- Mmmm think I ve missed it
- Pringle monster ;)
nighthawk's Related Pages
Stayner Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A weekend in Stayner with two wonderful friends."
- "Sleepless in Stayner..."
- "Back Home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Stayner
- Hotels in Stayner
- Transportation in Stayner
- Nightlife in Stayner
- Restaurants in Stayner
- Shopping in Stayner
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Stayner
- 29 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Stayner?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stayner
Photos in StaynerSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues