"Remains of the past" Aduard by nighthawk
Aduard Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
Aduard once had a large abbey, but in 1580 Dutch soldiers attacked the abbey and destroyed several of it s buildings.
In 1594 Protestantism was allowed and there was no need to maintain the remaining buildings.
What we nowadays call the church, used to be the former infirmary of the monks.
The demolition of the abbey around 1600 heralded a new era in the history of the place/mound Aduard: on the ruins arose the village Aduard. The place was a gold mine for those in need of building material. The first houses were erected along the main road on the abbey precinct and the canal. Hence the rectangular shape of the village plan that still reveals the structure of the medieval abbey enclosure bounded by moats.
website : http://www.aduard.com/, on the left top there s an icon for english language. more travel advice
nighthawk's Related Pages
Aduard Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Aduard
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Aduard?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aduard
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues