"Appingedam" Appingedam by nighthawk
Appingedam Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 80 photos
Cityrights were Appingedam granted in 1327 yet it is not clear how old this village really is.
An East Frisian nobel man named Eggerik van Beningen, who lived in the 16th century, wrote a chronic in which he wrote that a certain guy named Hatebrandus founded an abbey at the river Damme in 793, using the money he inherited from his parents.
Hatebrandus was a rich monk and part of the Benedictine monks.
As uncertain of the exact age of the village is where the name of the village of Appingedam comes from. Some say it is a joint up of two neighbourhood names Appinge and Damme, which were the heart of the later village before the 13th century.
Others say a little river, named the Apt, in which a dam was laid, led to the name giving of the village.
During early Middle Ages Appingedam became leading village of the county of Fivelingo. During Charles the Great the people of Appingedam did their own thing because this county was kinda out of reach for the government.
Those in power in the northern province fought out many disputes and indifferences.
Because of the suitable crosspoint of water and landroads also led to the fact that Appingedam became an important crossing point.
The presence of an Augustine abbey in Appingedam and the fact that, after the placing of a dam in the river Delf, more and more tradings took place in Appingedam and thus the economy florished, the capital Groningen felt attacked by this little village, mostly because of the presence of a sea harbour present in Appingedam at that time and aga. Main cause for the indifferences with Groningen was of religious nature, yet it was obvious that the city of Groningen wanted to make clear that Groningen had to be the capital.
Many years all kind of disputes were fought out over reign but in 1536, when king Charles V ordered to break down the just build city walls it was clear...the glorious years of Appingedam had ended and the Golden Age never reached Appingedam.
These days, the city of Appingedam has a central function for the country round it.
In my childhood it was more normal to go to Appingedam than to take a bus up to the city of Groningen.
Somehow people in a range of about 20 kilometers round Appingedam always turned their back to Groningen, my guess is because people back then lived the little life and Groningen too much was the 'big' town.
When Hans & Lori (Waalewiener) visited us, we drove to Delfzijl and of course had to stop in Appingedam.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Appingedam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Going on a canoe trip to Appingedam"
- "Appingedam lovely town in Northern Netherlands."
- "Used to be a seaport"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Appingedam
- Hotels in Appingedam
- Transportation in Appingedam
- Warnings and Dangers in Appingedam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Appingedam
- 0 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Appingedam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Appingedam
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues