"Delfzijl *under construction*" Delfzijl by nighthawk

Delfzijl Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 101 photos

In the old days, back when I was still a kid, I knew there were MacDonalds in the more busier towns of our province but when we drove towards Appingedam and Delfzijl I always loved the absence of the McDonalds.
Today, when we drove the highway towards Delfzijl, to my great sadness, I saw a large billboard along the highway referring to such a food chain in Appingedam.
Finally modern age had hit this rural surroundings.
But walking along the dyke in Delfzijl still was great eventho they had added a pedestrian bridge. Kinda small replica of the Erasmus aka Swan bridge in Rotterdam.

10th - 14th July 2003 Delfsail

Delfsail is organised every 5 years and will take place for the 4th time in 2003.

More information can be found on this site :

*thanks to vt member percussion

In 1929 the writer George Simeneon stepped of the train at the station in Delfzijl.
He had decided to write a book here called 'Maigret in Holland'.
He called Delfzijl a little toy town, with some 10, 12 streets, neatly swiped and with little red stoned houses. The village was enclosed by dykes.
In 1966 Simeneon visited Delfzijl again, this time for a statue of Maigret. Present were all actors who once played the charactere Maigret.

• Pros:Lot s to see if ya like maritime towns
  • Cons:It feels like the end of the world...
  • In a nutshell:Good for a visit on a sunny day
  • Intro Updated Feb 16, 2003

• InaC77's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2005 at 8:47 PM

ha, the good old green pea soup , I still make it the dutch way , including the speck and Rookworst , recipe is curtesy of my mum who made the best Erwte Soup and came from Delfzijl as well !

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2004 at 4:41 PM

Roe pea soup is my favorite but over hear we use yellow split peas vs green peas and we have dumplings with it. It's a "saturday" tradition in Newfoundland and Labrador. I love it :-) Cheers!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2004 at 6:51 AM

Nice Page!

• Dec 1, 2003 at 10:04 PM

Excellant pages, great albums, nice tips and useful information to a tourist. Many many happy returns of the day. Wishing you a happy birthday and all the best in future. Hope you have a great birthday bash tonight.

• Jewels's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 12:53 PM

The hotel on the pier looks cool - Peasoup and applecake...yummmmy - Interesting place (hiking boots) to stash your money! Looks like you had a wonderful time with Hans and Lori to :o)

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2003 at 4:37 PM

Hallo Roelien I like your Delfzijl pages very much the picture of me and your girls oh I love that picture ,all the pics are very nice , we had such a great time at your house ,and meeting Bert an the girls was wonderful,thanks Roelien

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2003 at 6:23 AM

Great page Roelien!!! Gave foto's van Hans & Lori!! Dat moet een ontzettend leuke dag zijn geweest! :-)))

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2003 at 5:40 PM

did you made into the Hotel and staying overnite, Room for two;-)) what a great page.so beutiful presented ...and I am going to raid my Fridge now!!

nighthawk

“C'est la Vie!”

Badges & Stats in Delfzijl

Have you been to Delfzijl?

Latest Activity in Delfzijl