"Delfzijl *under construction*" Delfzijl by nighthawk
Delfzijl Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 101 photos
In the old days, back when I was still a kid, I knew there were MacDonalds in the more busier towns of our province but when we drove towards Appingedam and Delfzijl I always loved the absence of the McDonalds.
Today, when we drove the highway towards Delfzijl, to my great sadness, I saw a large billboard along the highway referring to such a food chain in Appingedam.
Finally modern age had hit this rural surroundings.
But walking along the dyke in Delfzijl still was great eventho they had added a pedestrian bridge. Kinda small replica of the Erasmus aka Swan bridge in Rotterdam.
More information can be found on this site :
*thanks to vt member percussion
In 1929 the writer George Simeneon stepped of the train at the station in Delfzijl.
He had decided to write a book here called 'Maigret in Holland'.
He called Delfzijl a little toy town, with some 10, 12 streets, neatly swiped and with little red stoned houses. The village was enclosed by dykes.
In 1966 Simeneon visited Delfzijl again, this time for a statue of Maigret. Present were all actors who once played the charactere Maigret.
- Pros:Lot s to see if ya like maritime towns
- Cons:It feels like the end of the world...
- In a nutshell:Good for a visit on a sunny day
Hans found this a great shop for they sold drop/licorice, free choice of what to take! Mmmm, he also choose the ones I... more travel advice
who died in WW II....this is about the coldest part of Delfzijl, has been all the years that I go here, even in summer... more travel advice
- See All Wonderful hike
- See All Train or car
- See All Old dyke passage
- See All Climb the mill!
- See All Look beyond my face :-)
nighthawk's Related Pages
Delfzijl Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Delfzijl a Harbour City in the North Netherlands."
- "Delfzijl *under construction*"
- "avdb1948's new Delfzijl Page"
- "jcarolj's new Delfzijl Page"
- "Thea's Delfzijl Page"
- "Jaco_Emmen's new Delfzijl Page"
- "Visiting relatives is Delfzijl"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delfzijl
- Hotels in Delfzijl
- Transportation in Delfzijl
- Shopping in Delfzijl
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Delfzijl
- 28 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Delfzijl?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delfzijl
Photos in DelfzijlSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues