"De Poffert" De Poffert by nighthawk
De Poffert Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 6 photos
Just west of our village Hoogkerk, at the borders of the Hoendiep canal, is a township called 'De Poffert', after an inn that once used to be here.
Poffert is a bread-like sponge cake, local meal eaten a lot in the old days.
'Pannekoek' (pancake) was the name of another inn, now only a farm with that name reminds us of the old days.
Even further back in time: there were two other inns named after local dishes: 'De Meelpuil' (oat bag, youghurt put in a clean towel above a pot and then left to drip thru the cloth) and 'De Oliebol' (oil-dumpling).
In fall time, when the sugar beets were brougth to the factory by boat, the shippers had to wait till their boat was unloaded. They often ordered these dishes.
- In a nutshell:Great for cycling through ... living here is a whole other piece of cake (or something hehe)
This little brook used to be the lifeblood of this little village, around it s stream people settled and tried to have... more travel advice
Just somewhat more to the south, at the other side of the highway, is this nice lake. It is great to go there for a... more travel advice
nighthawk's Related Pages
De Poffert Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in De Poffert
- 4 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to De Poffert?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in De Poffert
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues