"Small rural village" Feerwerd by nighthawk
Feerwerd Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 4 photos
If ever you might pass Feerwerd, you might not recognize it as being one, but Feerwerd sure is one of the many villages built on an artificial hill.
The octonary framed mill, dated 1855, stands proudly and cannot be missed. It is still in use daily and visitors can buy flour and other bakery products.
Around 1600 a sepulchre cellar was built in the church for the occupants of the large house called a 'borg', where the family Aldringa lived; some grave stones in the church are the quiet witnesses of that fact. The tower was built in 1859, before that the church was provided with a wooden tower.
The second 'borg' or mansion that stood in Feerwerd once was called the 'little mansion' Huursema. This mansion was inhabited by the Lady Elisabeth Alberda, whom married in 1640 with prof. W. Mc Dowell from
Groningen, one of the first professors of philosophy at the university of Groningen.
Jacobus church, built in the first half of the 13th century.
A real building date for the little church is hampered by the rough coat, there are however indications that dating around the end of the 12th century is plausible.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Feerwerd Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Feerwerd
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Feerwerd?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Feerwerd
Photos in FeerwerdSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues