"Garrelsweer 950 year" Garrelsweer by nighthawk
Garrelsweer Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 101 photos
Since that time it is known people settled along the Damsterdiep (water) to build an excistance.
All sorts of festivities are taking place, Garrelsweer now has it s own flag and the focus is on how it once was in Garrelsweer.
My father lives at at foothpath called the Trekweg (Towing path) and they will be putting up old photographs of how the houses were long time ago and they will also add personal stories about the previous owners, often told by the person now living in the house.
It seems that during the Middle Ages, around 1057 ac Garrelsweer was allowed to have his own coins, which is rather remarkable because the city of Groningen practically had all rights.'
There were 2 other small villages that also were allowed to have their own coins: Westeremden and Winsum.
A local club that studies Garrelsweer history was searching for such an old coin and wrote to the Dutch dependance of the Saint Petersburg Hermitage in Amsterdam. They however didn t know of such a coin.
A journalist heard of the story and asked a man from the Groninger museum if he knew of the coins.
After some searching he came up with two coins, of one he is certain that it came from Garrelsweer. The museum bought the coins in 1917, for 3 and 5 Dutch guilders.
Almost all coins left Garrelsweer because of the East sea trade.
This I found so neat! At the left you see the house I was born in and the way it looks on this postcard is how I remember it in my most early memories.
Hehe, my grandfather once sold these cards and had given order to print them so I guess I won t be bothered by copyrights ... :-D .
- Pros:The road to the city of Groningen ;)
- Cons:Too many people turn their back on it
- In a nutshell:Nice quaint little village, rural
It is the one and only place in Garrelsweer where you can have a drink, eat some, and have fun with the great host! And... more travel advice
As you can see, Groningen isn t too far away and so are other larger places. Have travelled each way by bicycle . The... more travel advice
nighthawk's Related Pages
Garrelsweer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Garrelsweer 950 year"
- "Garrelsweer, one of the Dutch small villages."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Garrelsweer
- Hotels in Garrelsweer
- Transportation in Garrelsweer
- Restaurants in Garrelsweer
- Warnings and Dangers in Garrelsweer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Garrelsweer
- 41 Reviews
- 69 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Garrelsweer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Garrelsweer
Photos in GarrelsweerSee All Photos (69)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues