"Garrelsweer 950 year" Garrelsweer by nighthawk

Garrelsweer Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 101 photos

Garrelsweer once was called "Gerleviswert" and this year (2007) it excists 950 years.
Since that time it is known people settled along the Damsterdiep (water) to build an excistance.
All sorts of festivities are taking place, Garrelsweer now has it s own flag and the focus is on how it once was in Garrelsweer.
My father lives at at foothpath called the Trekweg (Towing path) and they will be putting up old photographs of how the houses were long time ago and they will also add personal stories about the previous owners, often told by the person now living in the house.

Just googling around the other day I found this article about Garrelsweer coins.
It seems that during the Middle Ages, around 1057 ac Garrelsweer was allowed to have his own coins, which is rather remarkable because the city of Groningen practically had all rights.'
There were 2 other small villages that also were allowed to have their own coins: Westeremden and Winsum.
A local club that studies Garrelsweer history was searching for such an old coin and wrote to the Dutch dependance of the Saint Petersburg Hermitage in Amsterdam. They however didn t know of such a coin.
A journalist heard of the story and asked a man from the Groninger museum if he knew of the coins.
After some searching he came up with two coins, of one he is certain that it came from Garrelsweer. The museum bought the coins in 1917, for 3 and 5 Dutch guilders.
Almost all coins left Garrelsweer because of the East sea trade.

One day an old acquitance of ours came by and gave us these old postcards.
This I found so neat! At the left you see the house I was born in and the way it looks on this postcard is how I remember it in my most early memories.

Hehe, my grandfather once sold these cards and had given order to print them so I guess I won t be bothered by copyrights ... :-D .

• Pros:The road to the city of Groningen ;)
  • Cons:Too many people turn their back on it
  • In a nutshell:Nice quaint little village, rural
  • Last visit to Garrelsweer: Apr 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 25, 2007

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2008 at 6:31 PM

Hallo Hallo Roelien and Louise De Video I talked about should be on my page tomorrow morning Monday i think I loose track of what day it is haha Knuffelssss again van Hansje

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Feb 25, 2005 at 3:53 PM

Great shots! Lovely destination, I see but do they have any parking for Toyota? :-)

• jamiesno's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2004 at 4:47 PM

This part of the Netherlands looks like a peaceful quieter place. Thanks for explaining what "The Hague" meant! I think I got it :-)

• Igraine's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2004 at 12:36 PM

Finally some pics of the happy couple!! they look like that a fab time :-)

• Kristina1701's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2004 at 6:07 AM

nice page; didn't know they're in nl right now. hope you're all having a great time together! :-)

• sim1's Profile Photo
    May 27, 2003 at 4:45 PM

Yeehaaaa..... finally your Garrelsweer page :-))) Hahaha, I can just picture you ploughing through those fields to get to the windmill, LOL, great story! ;-) Is that Maartens Garden????!!!!!!!! I am totally stunned! Thanks for this page! :-)))))

nighthawk Used To Live Here!

nighthawk

“C'est la Vie!”

Badges & Stats in Garrelsweer

Have you been to Garrelsweer?

Latest Activity in Garrelsweer