"History" Gorinchem by nighthawk
Gorinchem Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 116 photos
1224 : first known mention of the name Gorinchem in a document, Floris IV gives the people of Gorinchum toll freedom in the whole county of Holland
November 1382 Otto van Arkel gives Gorinchem city rights.
Throughout the Middle Ages the city of Gorinchem was troubled by floodings and contageous diseases. The grounds, known as the country of the Lords of Arkel, were a prey for the neighbouring counties Holland and Gelre.
At the end of the 13th century the settlement became a fortress.
Stone walls and towers were added in the 14th century.
Despite all the fortifications Gorinchem was overpowered by Holland in 1417. In this fight the last heir Van Arkel got killed.
Gorinchem florished after this and became the 8th city of Holland.
At the end of the Middle Ages Gorinchem's most known buildings were finishe such as the big Tower, known as Saint Jans-tower.
In 1566 the first protestant service was held in Gorinchem. Six years later, shortly after the beginning of the 80 year war, the city was captured by the Watergeuzen. Clergymen were taken prisoner and were transported to Den Brielle, were they were hanged. These men became known as the martyr of Gorcum.
A new rampart with 11 bastions were made in the 16th century.
s. The city became twice as large. There were four city gates, just the Dalem-gate still stands.
After flourishing in the Golden Age the 18th century brought little good.
The French, defeated in Holland, took shelter in Gorinchem and at the liberation of the town from the French, which took 3 months, major parts of the city were destroyed.
After the industrial revolution Gorinchem took profit of the upcoming industries.
The city had to expand outside the rampart and became twice as large and in the times that followed, Gorinchem kept adding grounds.
During building activities many archeological finds were done.
A site on these finds is: www.archeologie.myweb.nl (only in Dutch)
I just wish I had had a chance to go visit the actual city instead of seeing just this.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Gorinchem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gorcum or Gorinchem, what will it be"
- "Gorinchem of Gorkum"
- "Gorinchem Page"
- "Gorinchem and its surroundings"
- "Coming soon........"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gorinchem
- Transportation in Gorinchem
- Restaurants in Gorinchem
- Shopping in Gorinchem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gorinchem
- 1 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Gorinchem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gorinchem
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues