"Citizens of Groningen are more courteous" Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen by nighthawk
Groningen Travel Guide: 447 reviews and 1,121 photos
A national newspaper had a survey in several Dutch cities and the conclusion was that Groningen was the most courteous. :-D
Making a long nose to the former holders of the world record pillow fight (Americans & Dutch) : the world record pillow fight is now in hands of Groningen!! 2997 pillows were used in a fantastic fight!! and we beat the old record hehe!
There s talk of renovations of city center and the building of a huge house of history at the north-east side of the Great Market (Grote Markt). The fun part is, that there will probably be a referendum and we get to vote like we did against the building of a huge parking lot underneath the Grote Markt, against which lots of folks voted ... sour moment for the politician that had big dreams ... he could have known lol.
Lately I strawl quite frequently through the city center and I notice the indreasing number of foreign spoken languages in the streets ... the city seems more and more a live and wake city .. I like it :-)!
As well the province as the city have a rich history and although people often think that we are stiff people who don't say much, once you learn to know us you'll see that we are rather normal ;-)
This situation was created in the late middle ages, when counts, dukes and other noble men fought for power. The church also had to do with it.
I will add more historical facts on the province and the city later on.
Groningen has a university and thus it is a lively city. Some distinguished former professors and students that attended this university are:
A.M. Donner, first president of the Court of Justice of the European Communities
Willem Duisenberg, president of the European Central Bank
Aletta Jacobs, first female graduate in the Netherlands
J.C. Kapteyn, famous for his use of photography in determining the motion and distribution of stars
Maurits and Bernard, Princes of Oranje-Nassau
Wubbo Ockels, astronaut
Bert V.A. R?ling, co-founder of the science of peace research and judge in the International Military Tribunal for the Far East (Tokyo)
Frits Zernike, winner of the Nobel Prize for Physics
This has grown into a rather big page, just browse through it, I have tried to add not too much text in the travelogues. If you might have any question(s), I ll always be happy to try and help you!
- Pros:Lively university city, lots to do all at walking range
- Cons:Lots of folks wanting to visit! ;-)
- In a nutshell:Come and see for yourself this is not the end of the world :)
Up to October 1st roadworks are taking place on the A28, the road to and from the city of Groningen (Groningen - Assen... more travel advice
Haha, though you better be prepared for some serious climbing up winding narrow steps ... works quite claustrophobic... more travel advice
- See All Ni Hao
- See All Can we go again??? pls pls !!
- See All Quasimodo climbing up and down and up...
- See All Hop an a pink bike!
- See All Flower market on Good Friday (annual...
nighthawk's Related Pages
Groningen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Groningen, a city I love!"
- "Groningen above all."
- "One of the world’s leading bicycle cities"
- "Citizens of Groningen are more courteous"
- "Groningen, real city life"
- "ER IS NIETS BOVEN GRONINGEN"
- "VT-meeting in Groningen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Groningen
- Hotels in Groningen
- Transportation in Groningen
- Nightlife in Groningen
- Restaurants in Groningen
- Shopping in Groningen
- Warnings and Dangers in Groningen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Groningen
- 99 Reviews
- 179 Photos
- 27 Forum posts
- 209 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Groningen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Groningen
Photos in GroningenSee All Photos (179)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues