"Castle and village green" Haarzuilens by nighthawk
Haarzuilens Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 41 photos
The shape of the old village Haarzuilens, with houses grouped round a green, is typical for a green village. This type of village probably originates from the 10th or 11th century. The green was used as a place to gather the cattle during the night. All inhabitants of the village could use it.
Ages went by but the village hardly changed.
In the 17th the castle stood vacant and slowly turned to a ruine. The growth of the village stopped.
In the 19th century only 44 houses and farms formed the council of Haarzuilens, twenty of those buildings were in the village it self.
At the end of the 19th century the old village of Haarzuilens, once sprouted from the shelter of the old castle, had to make room for the plans of the new lord of the castle.
The castle was renovated in a big way and the grounds around it became parc. This parc also had to do use as hunting area.
Two kilometres east of the old village arose a new village, the village as we know it now.
The building of this new village started in 1886 and it included a moat and a dam around it.
Because of the building activities soon the little village became twice as large as the old village.
In 1898 the works were done.
The new village also has a green, onto which 3 roads and 2 pathways end.
Around this green initially just shops and houses, a smithy and an inn. This inn also was used as council hall. Along the roads to the green houses for the workers were built.
All buildings that were built in the village at the end of the last century are built and designed by the same architects who restored the castle: P.J.H. Cuypers, his son J.Th.J. Cuypers, Jac. van Straaten and Jac. van Gils.
The intention was to make it look like as if the village was built in the late Middle Ages. Even entry gates were considered.
To make obvious that the castle and the village were related the wood work of the houses are painted in heraldic colours *yellow and silver*, which are the colours of the family Van Zuylen van Nyevelt van de Haar.
This is an old habit of the Middle Ages: those or that what belongs to a certain "lord" also has to wear the colours of that "lord".
A sign of recognition but it also shows the right of protection.
Not many changes have taken place since 1886. Just some houses were built around the village green, as well as some houses along side the other roads.
In 1898, the year Queen Wilhelmina was inaugurated, Haarzuilens officially was taken in use, many people came to be present at this occasion. Several kings from the colony of that time Dutch Indie were present.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Haarzuilens Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Haarzuilens
- 0 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Haarzuilens?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haarzuilens
Photos in HaarzuilensSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues