"Haren" Haren by nighthawk
Haren Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 8 photos
The earliest traces of occupation on the territory of the current municipality Haren are tracked back to about 4500 years. Archaeological unearthings revealed sepulchre hillocks, a goblet sepulchre and a megalithic tomb. Finds of currencies and pieces of pots are proof of inhabitation during Roman time and in the middle ages.
Haren, Onnen, Glimmen and Noordlaren formed during middle ages separate neighboorhoods. Together with Haren they formed the justicial area Gorecht, now known as Haren.
Back in the old days the settlements Haren, Onnen, Glimmen, Noordlaren, Assen, Een, the Dilgt and Helpman were situated in the high part of the Gorecht.
In 1392 the area was given to the city of Groningen.
When Holland became the Netherlands the only allowed religion was the calvinistic. All visible expressions of the oude religion had to disappear. The father of Haren since then had to be a vicar, or dominee.
Convent in Assen
In 1215 a convent was founded in Assen, inhabited by the cisterciënzer woman convent. Due to the reformation this convent closed its gates in 1594. The sisters that stayed on got a provincial alimentation to provide in their living costs up to their death.
The French became to power after 1595 and in 1798 Haren became a French municipality.
Shaping municipality haren
In 1811, the municipality borders of Haren were set.
Haren got his municipality weapon in 1914.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Haren
- 0 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Haren?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Haren
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues