"Harkstede" Harkstede by nighthawk
Harkstede Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 1 photos
Henric Piccardt was born March 25th, 1636 in Woltersum, where his father was preacher.
He studied law in the city of Groningen, after that he disappeared to France.
After several romantic escapades Henric, aged 31, became chamberlord for Louis XIV of France.
When Louis declared war to The Netherlands in 1672, Henric had no other choice but to return to Groningen.
To his surprise he was enprisoned because of his French connections but in 1673 he was free man again due to lack of proof of suspicious liaisons with France.
His luck turns. He gets a high post in government and at age 43, he marries Anna Rengers, daughter of the owner of Fraeylema manor. She is just 23.
When the Fraeylema house, manor and home of his inlaws comes for sale, Henric Piccard can buy the manor thanks to his old friendship with William III, king of England, who is willing to lend him money.
Another loan of William III enables Henric to buy the church in Harkstede.
This church in fact is a grave church, and proof of that is a Latin enscription above the door.
Anna dies in 1704 and Henric in 1712. Their mourning boards hang in the church of Slochteren, the place where the Fraeyleam manor is.
Those boards had hung above the manor door (their property) for some time after the death of first Anna, later on Henric to get a final place in the church of Slochteren.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Harkstede Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Harkstede
- 0 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Harkstede?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Harkstede
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues