"Heveskes" Heveskes by nighthawk
Heveskes Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 2 photos
I must admit I was surprised to find Heveskes in VT, for Heveskes no longer is an excisting village. Just the church was saved from demolition and it stands among chemical industry as if it got lost.
Once upon a time, Heveskes was a little village near her bigger sister Delfzijl. Life was good, and business as usual, but all changed in the years between 1955-1975, when more and more chemical industries started business in Delfzijl. Therefore Heveskes had to be demolished, as did another little village called Oterdum.
It is just a pity that the development of industry never completely was realized..... just for the sake of this little village ...
Now all is left of Heveskes is the church and some farm buildings, Oterdum has disappeared completely, just some gravestones are relocated on the dyke further towards Termunterzijl.
The church is roman gothic, and the oldest part, the tower, is dated somewhere around 1200 BC.
In front of the church a railroad track next to a rosted gate. Not too far away another chemical plant.
- Pros:Reminder of the past.
- Cons:Reminder of the past.
- In a nutshell:reminder of the past, victim of industry
nighthawk's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Heveskes
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (112)
Have you been to Heveskes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Heveskes
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues