"Drive thru Horn" Horn by nighthawk
Horn Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 7 photos
Just some kilometres out of Roermond we drove by Horn. The place had a nice castle so that called for some photographs.....
This is the castle from Horn. It is a so called water castle for up to 1342 Meuse river passed through Horn but then got derouted to Roermond.
The castle is in the shape of a middle aged fortress. Originally it had four corner towers and a connected wing.
Because of renovation works two towers disappeared and the ring wall was heightened by building a second arched row on the original one.
The hall building was replaced to the east in the 15th century and the old square tower then became living area in a l-shape.
A person named Engelbert Van Horn, son of Dirk Van Horn, was mentioned in an old paper. It is not sure if the castle already was there.
The castle of Horn first is mentioned in a letter in 1243. William, Lord of Horne and Altena, declares that he got the castle and the village of Horn in loan from the count of Loon.
Another owner of the castle was Philips de Montmorency, count of Horne. This man got excecuted in Bruxelles in 1568.
The castle was sold off in public in 1798. New owner became the family Magnee from Luik/Liege, their descendants still own it.
Part of the round wall with his arched windows.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Horn
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Horn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Horn
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues