"Casemattes musuem Kornwerderzand" Kornwerderzand by nighthawk
Kornwerderzand Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 23 photos
The "Kazemattenmuseum Kornwerderzand" is located at a beautiful location on the "Afsluitdijk" near the impressive locks/sluices safeguarding the waterlevel in the "IJsselmeer". It is the place where in May 1940 some 225 Dutch soldiers in their casemates succeeded in stopping the advance of the invading German armed forces.
Seven of these casemates can be visited. They are still exactly as they were in May 1940. Inside the three meter thick concrete walls we got an impression of the daily life of the soldiers who were there from September 1939 until May 14th in 1940.
We saw the places where the soldiers slept, the kitchen where their meals were prepared and the original telephone switchboard. A number of weapons are back in their original places.
Real interesting though I didn't like the idea of being below level inside a concrete tomb :(
The Kazemattenmuseum is situated on the Afsluitdijk, about four kilometers from the Frisian coast. The car-park is accessible through the exit Kornwerderzand. You will find road signs that will direct you to the parking accomodation and the museum.
By public transport
There is a 1x per hour bus service, Interliner 350, between Leeuwarden and Alkmaar. Only on request will the bus stop at Kornwerderzand. More information can be had on internet: www.interliner.nl, or by telephone: Interliner Services 0900-8998998, or the general public transport information number 0900-9292.
From May until Ocober on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10.00 - 17.00 hrs and in the months of July and August on Sundays from 13.00 - 17.00 hrs.
Information can be obtained at the Tourist Information: "VVV, regio IJsselmeergebied Friesland", telephone +31.515.540550.
- Pros: great to learn some bout history
- Cons: it s a little bit scary and damp
- In a nutshell: great 4 kids, mind their lill heads, mine bumped the concrete :(
nighthawk's Related Pages
Kornwerderzand Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Casemattes musuem Kornwerderzand"
- "Afsluitdijk / Enclosure Dike"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kornwerderzand
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Kornwerderzand?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kornwerderzand
Photos in KornwerderzandSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues