"Medemblik" Medemblik by nighthawk
Medemblik Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 28 photos
Medemblik might be the smallest of cities that are situated at what used to be the Zuiderzee (Southern Sea), yet it is the oldest. Excarvations show that Medemblik for long had excisted as a place where people lived when Floris V in the late 13th century built his fortress to suppress the just conquered West Frisians.
The count firstly gave Medemblik cityrights in 1289. This still is celebbrated on March 25th.
The 16th century is also called the destrastreous century. A Frisian robber, Grote Pier, and his army came to plunder the city in 1517.
In 1555 a huge fire, which started at the city hall destroyed a church and an abbey.
During Spanish time Medemblik suffered.
In 1572 the city was forced to surrender and laid under attack again in 1588.
Good things came at the end of this century. Diggings for the Oosterhaven started in 1589 and up to this day it is the main harbour.
Emperor Napoleon in 1811made plans to make Medemblik a warharbour. Luckily this turned out toto be just a paper plan.
Up to 1850 Medemblik had a school for naval instruction, still there and called 'Landswerf'.
From the outside is has that old look ... yet the inside has lost all it s old charm ... in my opinion it s too... more travel advice
nighthawk's Related Pages
Medemblik Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Medemblik Page"
- "A number one sailing centre within Europe"
- "Medemblik, NL"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Medemblik
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Medemblik?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Medemblik
Photos in MedemblikSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues