"The tragic death of mr Van Panhuys" Midwolde by nighthawk
Midwolde Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 6 photos
(Jhr Mr) J.AE. A. van Panhuys, former mayor of the city of Groningen, (commisaris) of the Queen in Groningen (1886) and Overijssel (1892), Vice president of the (Raad van State) (1893-1897) and Minister of State had settled for good on his mantion Nienoord in Leek after he retired. He became owner in 1884 by inheritance.
On November 6th 1907 the family Van Panhuys returned home in their carriage after visiting Groningen.
The weather was very bad and there was a terrible fog. The road along the canal Hoendiep was known as a tricky road to travel along. Close to Hoogkerk it went wrong: the carriage fell in the water close to Hoogkerk.
Those inside drowned: (jhr mr) Johan AEmilius Abraham van Panhuys, his wife, his son Jhr Hobbe van Panhuys (mayor of Leek) and his daughter in law drawned, just as his coach man.
Nienoord was founded in about 1524 by Wigbold of Ewsum, whose family had owned it from 1525 up to 1657. When Anna of Ewsum married Carel Hieronimus Vrijheer von Inn- und Kniphausen the mantion became part of the estate of the family Von Inn- und Kniphausen, a well known old family from East Frisian. In 1694 Georg Wilhelm von Inn- und Kniphausen, to whom Anna married after the death of Carel Hieronimus, became count on word of the German emperor. When the Dutch nobility acknowledged it, the name became Baron von Inn- und Kniphausen.
The last of the Barons von Inn- und Kniphausen, Mr Ferdinand Folef, caused many damages to the mantion due to his unresponsible way of living, Decay came over the mantion and even the family portraits had to endure the terrible tantrums of the baron: he pulled them to pieces with a hook.
A large part of the house was destroyed by fire.
The people of the village donated money so this window could be made
The church where the family Van Panhuys went on Sundays.
Typical brick tower as there are many in Groningen.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Midwolde Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Midwolde
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Midwolde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Midwolde
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues