"Nieuwe Statenzijl" Nieuwe Statenzijl by nighthawk
Nieuwe Statenzijl Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
I only know Nieuwe Statenzijl as the spot on the Dollard where I go every now and again for a walk with my father. My father loves to drive through his beloved province of Groningen, and especially the polders in the east of our province have his interest, this partially because he used to shove papers in an agricultural department of the ministry (something like that, haha sorry if I use an inappropriate term).
Anyway, Nieuwe Statenzijl is, as said, located at the Dollard and some huge sluices control the water that goes either in or out, same with the ships that want to go to the Waddensea.
When my children were younger they could never understand howcome one can wonder into Germany without really crossing a visual border.
Well, one can when visiting Nieuwe Statenzijl, just walk the path passed the sluices and before you know it, you are on German soil.
Funny, the sheep do not have another mêêh-sound than the Dutch sheep have.
There is also a birdwatching tower, never walked there for some reason but this time my father decided he wanted to walk to the tower.
A wooden walking path we had to take, took us for ever, crossing several "prielen", which are little streams of water coming from the Dollard.
It felt weird to walk over the wooden path because of the water we sometimes had to cross: would it hold our weight or ....
- Pros:Middle of nowhere
- Cons:Middle of nowhere
- In a nutshell:Peaceful, tranquil
nighthawk's Related Pages
Nieuwe Statenzijl Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nieuwe Statenzijl
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Nieuwe Statenzijl?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nieuwe Statenzijl
Photos in Nieuwe StatenzijlSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues