"Fall break" Rheden by nighthawk

Rheden Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 61 photos

General info on Rhenen

Rhenen, together with Achterberg and Elst, has a history that goes back more then 200.000 years in time. First traces of human activity are from the middle of the Old Stone Age. The archaeologic findings show that Rhenen was the first location choosen for human living.
Throughout the centuries Rhenen was strategicly situated north of the Betuwe, the river delta that was accepted by the Romans being their northern border. Rhenen and surroundings became a no man's land where Roman legionairs and their northern opponents only went exploring the territory.
During the middle ages Rhenen and its episcopal castle Ter Horst in Achterberg (destroyed in 1543, never to be rebuild) was the most forward pushed stronghold in the south eastern corner of the region ruled by the bishop. It was the most important stronghold in the fight against the counts, later dukes, of Gelre. After the centralisation of the national government by king Karel V Rhenen became a smal dozing garrison town.

World War II hit Rhenen hard. Rotterdam got destroyed and the fight at the Grebbe mountain are the two things most people remember from the beginning of WW II.
Rhenen was destroyed yet after the war had ended, was rebuilt.

At the eastern border of the town is the large cemetry where the killed soldiers of WW II are buried.

The photograph I stole from this site --> http://www.grebbeberg.nl/ . It s a wonderful site about the fight on the Grebbeberg and the effect the fights had on Rhenen and it s surrounding area.

What to do with the kids....

As a parent there are certain things you have to do with the kids wether you like it or not...like going to one of the zoo's. Stupid enough I do not like those organised and more or less obligated visits to theme parcs, amusement parcs and zoo's. For me it feels like I am a trained monkey having fun on command. But hey! I know it is MY problem so we ll go to the Ouwehand Zoo tomorrow if all goes well.

We did go! Though it was raining we had a great time!
At 1700 pm the zoo closed for the evening and I just had time to shoot this pic....the kids aren t looking that happy for it rained quite a bit ....
I take back some of what I said above...I think visits like this are just a must do!!

Something about the quality of the photographs. It was a cloudy day, with quite some rain. Not the best weather if you wanna photograph but I ve done my best.
The more exotic animal I had to photograph with thick window in between the beast and me. So sometimes the colours are a bit flat or it is as if I moved the camera....which I prolly did :)

Ok! Time to start exploring the zoo!
On the photograph the entrance to the parc.
First animals we saw were the tigers at the left and the zebra's on the right. The giraffe's where inside, wow! they sure are huge!

Quite a lot photographs I took with my regular SLR because I have a tele lens. I am not too sure bout the quality but in a day or so I will know :).

• Last visit to Rheden: Oct 2002
  • Intro Written Oct 13, 2002

Comments

nighthawk

“C'est la Vie!”