"Another rural village" Roderwolde by nighthawk
Roderwolde Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 16 photos
The mill 'Woldzigt' in Roderwolde is an unique mill that can grain cereals as well as oil.
The mill was built in 1852 by order of two farmers: Aukema and Datema.
The mills is in a very good shape and still functions.
Roderwolde excists as long as the Middle Ages, however it is not in the same place it once was.
Originally it was situated more to the north, and side a side with Sandebuur, another little village.
At certain point the soil wasn t suitable for inhabition no more and thus people moved further to the south.
A cemetry outside the village reminds of the former situation of the original village.
The oldest buildings in the village are the church (photograph) and the mill.
The mill is the last one of seven mills that once were part of the neighbourhood Sandebuur and the village of Roderwolde in the 19th century.
The church dates 1831. This so called hall church has a baptismal font (1560), a Holy Communion cup (1651) and a church bell (1634), which came from the in 1830 torn down church in Sandebuur.
Little changed after 1850. Some houses were built.
Roderwolde is also known for the storks that return each year.
Somewhat outside the village is a monumental manor-house 'De Waalborg'. This characteristic farm house with moats around it, is probably dated from the 17th century, but is only first mentioned in 1768.
In the fields around Roderwolde special birds can be spotted, amongst which geese.
Oh wow! the storks are back!! Sign that we won t get a really cold time no more?!!
This is fun to watch... I always thought the wings of the mill just caught wind and started to turn round, but in this... more travel advice
Take a good luck up before you decide to climb into the mill. Stairs are steep and small....I had to ask for help ..... more travel advice
Written Jan 14, 2004
The mill redone on a small scale
Written Jan 14, 2004
nighthawk's Related Pages
Roderwolde Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Roderwolde
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Roderwolde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roderwolde
Photos in RoderwoldeSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues