Schagen Sports & Outdoors Tips by nighthawk
Schagen Sports & Outdoors: 1 reviews and 1 photos
Address: Website only in Dutch...
Directions: The thick black line is the dam, the so called West Frisian *omringdijk* dam.
The so called wheels *wielen* are reminders of dam bursts of the past. These are not only found at the dam as we know it now, but also are visible in Schagen, Valkoog and Sint Maarten.
De Zijpe, which was drainaged only after half a century hard labour in 1597.
When the sea bursted through the dam at the coast in the 12th century it ruined lots of land but at the other hand created great new lands as well, which were later secured with a dam. The people lived on high places, so called *terpen* and behind the dams and did so since the 11th century. Terpen are occupied hills and are found mainly round Warmenhuizen and Schagen.
Just before you reach Krabbendam is an remarkable symmetric bend in the dam. Here is the place where once another castle of Florens IV was.
Three dams meet in Krabbendam: West Frisian Sea dam, West Frisian dam and the old Schoorl Sea dam (once known as the Rekerdam, which once enclosed the Zijper inner sea).
The Schoorl dam leads you into Alkmaar. Right next to it is the North Holland canal. The dam now is not that high.
At your right are the high dunes of Schoorl and at your left hand is the parceled out land of Geestmeerambacht.
Koedijk has an original raft bridge over the canal. Here also is a nice mill.
Before you know it you have reached the out skirts of Alkmaar, in the old days the Grote or Laurens church was a beacon to guide you but nowadays modern buildings prevent a look at it.
Equipment: A good bike, some tape in case you get unlucky, raincoat and a camera.
More Reviews (3)
nighthawk's Related Pages
Schagen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Schagen, pleasant town in the Top of North Holland"
- "Soooooooo Netherlands!!!!!!!!!!!"
- "Traditional costumes in Schagen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Schagen
- Hotels in Schagen
- Transportation in Schagen
- Restaurants in Schagen
- Shopping in Schagen
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kefar Nahum Hotels
- Jerez de la Frontera
- Bagan Hotels
- Terre Haute Hotels
- Ballymount Hotels
- Amnicon Falls Hotels
- Trieste Hotels
- Mandu Hotels
Badges & Stats in Schagen
- 5 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Schagen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Schagen
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (151)
Latest Schagen hotel reviews
- Best Western Slot Hotel Igesz
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 19, 2013