"Sexbierum" Sexbierum by nighthawk
Sexbierum Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 7 photos
Sexbierum, about 8 kilometers east of Harlingen and about 8 kilometeres north west of Franeker, is as the top of the triangel Sexbierum-Harlingen-Franeker. Since 1987 there is a piramide in Sexbierum, built as wind-attraction parc and as visitors centre for a new to be opened experimental wind turbine parc.
The piramide is called Aeolus (same name has the next to the parc situated mill). Aeolus is the god of the wind.
In the old days Sexbierum sometimes was called Sixtabarra and Sixtusburen, after the holy Saint Sixtus. The protestant church also is dedicated to this Saint and was built in the 12th century.
Frisians call Sexbierum "Seisbierum" (seis is 6) so how "sex" came into the name of this village should one former municipal worker from the far past have to explain.
As youngsters we always had great fun over this name ... sex, beer and rum, how on earth could a village be called like that?? and most important .. could it live up to our expectations??? lol
There is a lovely B&B near the village and also a luxurious hotel. One could very well stay here for some days and rent a bicycle and go exploring this part of the Frisian country.
- Pros:The name
- Cons:The name is deceiving ;)
- In a nutshell:Great for an escape into the country !
nighthawk's Related Pages
Sexbierum Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sexbierum
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Sexbierum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sexbierum
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues