The Hague Things to Do Tips by nighthawk
The Hague Things to Do: 448 reviews and 619 photos
This is the palace that Queen Beatrix uses for her work as head of the state. Members of foreign governments visit here.
Originally designed by Jacob van Campen and Pieter Post.
Across the road once stood a beautiful neo-gothic building but that has been torn down.
Directions: Coming from the city center, walk in the direction of Scheveningen, signs can be found along the road.
Andrew Carnegie, who became rich in the steel industry came with the concept of building a peace palace.
An international competition was held for the best design of the building which was won by the French architect Louis M. Cordonnier.
In 1913 the building was festivily opened in the presence of the Dutch royal family.
It now houses the seat of international law, the international court of justice and the permanent court of Arbitration, the latter being the oldest institution for dispute settlement.
view on Binnenhof
It is nice to go and visit the Binnenhof, the place where our national government is seated.
Too bad I missed the grand tour, haven t been there in 20 years and so I still do not know what renovations have been done.
This a view on the binnenhof through the entrance gate of the prisoners gate.
This is a view somewhat further away from the palace.
You can see the statue of William III standing in front of it.
I think William once lived here but I forgot the specifics :-)
VT members in front of it as well
Panaroma Mesdag building
Am ever so glad Sandra (mique) showed us this!!!
The buidling is somewhat discretely tucked away in the street but we did find it.
The huge cylindrical painting can be seen from a round platform and it is a bit of a surreal feel to stand here and look around.
Hendrik Willem Mesdag, born in Groningen (all that s good comes from Groningen hehe) on February 23rd 1831 and died in The Hague July 7th 1915.
Married Sina van Houten (Sientje), also born in Groningen, on April 23rd 1856.
When they inherated an huge amount of money after the death of Mesdag his father Sina persuaded her husband to follow his dream and become a painter.
They lived in Bruge for a while before they moved to The Hague because Mesdag more and more was fascinated by the sea.
After the death of their only son Klaas in 1877, Sientje too began to paint.
A group of Belgian entrepeneurs wanted Mesdag to paint a giant painting with a lenght of 120 metres and 14 metres of height. Therefor a special pavilion was built, with a small round platform in the middle for the public to stand on.
In only four months the painting was finished by Mesdag, his wife Sientje, Th?ophile de Bock (1851-1904) and the young George Hendrik Breitner (1857-1923). Bernardus Johannes Blommers (1845-1914) also helped some.
In 1886, when exploitation didn t bring in enough money to make it profitable, Mesdag bought the building and added rooms to it where he and his wife exposed their own paintings.
Directions: Panorama Mesdag, Zeestraat 65, Den Haag, tel 070 - 364 45 44
<center><FONT FACE='TEKTON'SIZE='4'COLOR='#8B008B'><div style='background color=#E6E6FA'>A window of the 'CandyBox', in it you see another building reflected, called 'The golden head'.
More Reviews (13)
- See All Do not use flashlight when in a museum
- See All Look up!
- Make it a sport!
- See All Statue of Queen Wilhelmina
nighthawk's Related Pages
The Hague Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Hague, where the Queen resides"
- "Den Haag"
- "Den Haag"
- "Den Haag"
- "The Hague - The Political Center"
- "My vision on Den Haag"
- "Stork City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in The Hague
- Hotels in The Hague
- Transportation in The Hague
- Nightlife in The Hague
- Restaurants in The Hague
- Shopping in The Hague
- Warnings and Dangers in The Hague
- See All...
Explore the World
- Samut Prakan Hotels
- Buggs Island Hotels
- Puerto Peñasco
- Knoxville Hotels
- Skopje Hotels
- Saint-Malo Things to Do
- Mission District
- Papeete Things to Do
- Ocean Shores Things to Do
- Dublin Things to Do
- David Sheldrick Animal Trust - Elephant Orphanage
- Maranello Things to Do
- Bonita Springs Things to Do
- Bernkastel-Kues Things to Do
- Caerphilly Things to Do
- Pensacola Beach Things to Do
Badges & Stats in The Hague
- 19 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 12 Forum posts
- 33 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to The Hague?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Hague
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (151)
Latest The Hague hotel reviews
- Hotel Des Indes, a Luxury Collection Hotel
- 197 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- Stayokay Den Haag
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Hampshire Hotel - Babylon Den Haag
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Hotel Astoria
- 6 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Steigenberger Kurhaus Hotel
- 143 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Bilderberg Europa Hotel
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Carlton Ambassador Hotel
- 83 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 14, 2013
- The Grand Winston Hotel
- 90 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 3, 2013
- Ambassade Arena Aparthotel
- 15 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 2, 2013
- Novotel Den Haag Centrum
- 129 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Mercure Den Haag Central Hotel
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Paleis Hotel
- 74 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Bel Air Hotel The Hague
- 108 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- Ibis Den Haag Centre
- 162 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Madurodam, Miniature City- 35 Reviews, 51 Photos
- Scheveningen / Kijkduin beach- 33 Reviews, 46 Photos
- Royal The Hague- 52 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Peace Palace- 19 Reviews, 22 Photos
- Scenic The Hague- 28 Reviews, 48 Photos
- Mauritshuis- 33 Reviews, 61 Photos
- Panorama Mesdag- 20 Reviews, 21 Photos
- Around The Hague- 27 Reviews, 30 Photos
- Governmental The Hague- 50 Reviews, 86 Photos
- Churches- 15 Reviews, 17 Photos
See All The Hague Things to Do