"Termunten" Termunten by nighthawk
Termunten Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 2 photos
Termunten: where in the 15th century the little river the old Ae ended in the Eems-Dollard a village developed on an artificial height in the landscape. It might even have been before that.
In 1724, in the old Ae a lock (zijl) was
built, where itself the beautiful fishermen village Termunterzijl developed.
Nowadays mainly tourist come here for a strawl and a fish to eat.
Interesting is the 'poort van ziel', a stone bridge dated 1725.
Where the Dollard (river) ends, close to the German border, is an impressive locking complex called Nieuw (new) Statenzijl (zijl is lock).
Furthermore one of the largest and most modern (of the whole of The Netherlands) water sluices can be found here.
If you are interested in this water control installation, protecting the provinces of Groningen and Drenthe from flooding, you can visit this website: www.gemaalrozema.nl.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Termunten Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
- La Fortuna Hotels
- O'Leno State Park Hotels
- Shanagolden Hotels
- Highley Hotels
- Vilanova i la Geltru Hotels
- Echuca Hotels
- Prefecture of Kastoria
- Isla de San Andrés
- El Golfo de Santa Clara
Badges & Stats in Termunten
- 1 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Termunten?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Termunten
Photos in TermuntenSee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues