"Thorn" Thorn by nighthawk
Thorn Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 57 photos
Only female descandants from the fine noblesse were admitted to the convent. Mother reverend ruled her ocnvent and the village as if it were a monarchy.
After the convent had been taken over by the French and most of its buildings destroyed, the stones were used by the villagers to enlarge their house.
They weren t the best brickworkers and therefor the houses were painted white. From then on it was called the little white village.
Thorn became a sleepy agricultural village and that probably saved lot of it s original character.
Now you can walk the cobblestone roads and imagine the nuns walking here.
And when you go inside the church, the true former wealth of the monastry shows. A sure must see!
nighthawk's Related Pages
Thorn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Thorn, monumental town with great history"
- "Delightful Quiet Town - A Photographer's Paradise"
- "Thorn, the white city"
- "Idyllic Dutch countryside"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Thorn
- Transportation in Thorn
- Restaurants in Thorn
- Shopping in Thorn
- Warnings and Dangers in Thorn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Thorn
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Thorn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Thorn
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues