"Uithuizermeeden" Uithuizermeeden by nighthawk
Uithuizermeeden Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
Uithuizermeeden, quite a long name so the Groningen people tend to call it "Mei" (not being the month of mei/may but just short for).
Uithuizermeeden dates from about the 12th/13th century, and at certain time dykes where built and the land behind was suitable to built houses on, thus creating the villages of Uithuizen, Uithuizermeeden and Roodeschool.
Because the dykes sheltered fertile grounds from the salty sea tthe farmers that lived behind the dykes became very rich. They were entitled to claim new land, won from the sea, as their own. Remains of that former wealth still can be seen: stronghouses and mantions (borgen).
The Rensumaborg is the only witness of that former wealth. The road to it is near the oldest part of Uithuizermeeden, de Torenbuurt (Tower neighbourhood) around the old reformed church.
In 1652 a new dyke, the so called kadijk or middle dyke, was built and people started to build houses in that area.
Nowadays Uithuizermeeden is a sttretched out village, but still cosy enough to be pleasant.
At the end of the 19th century a railway came to Uithuizermeeden, tracks leading from Sauwerd to Roodeschool. It split the village in two.
Only after WW II plans were made to make a less divided village, which succeeded well.
The mermaid is the symbol of Uithuizermeeden. King William III granted the municipality an armour in 1886. It's blue of colour with in the front a mermaid, rising from a green sea with her arms held high. Beside her are some golden. The weapon clearly symbolises the history of this village: fertile, risen from the sea.
A famous person who was born here is ir. Johan van Veen. He thought up the plan to create a harbour near the Uithuizermeeden coast, got laughed out because of and declared mad but he went on and nowadays the Eemshaven is proof of his fertile thought.
He also thought up the Delta plan, that of course is more known than the Eemshaven.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Uithuizermeeden Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Uithuizermeeden
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Uithuizermeeden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uithuizermeeden
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues