"Noordkaap, Emmapolder, most northern point" Valom by nighthawk
Valom Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 27 photos
Farms were build in this new agricultural land. The farmer lived on his so called 'mother farm' in the old polder while his worker was allowed to live on the new farm in the polder.
Even before the 19th century, in the days of the monastries in about 1200 and later, polders were laid dry and this is why sometimes three dykes can be seen in this vaste countryside: the so called dreamer (oldest dyke from the days of the monastries), the sleeper (from the 19th century) and the keeper. The keeper is the dyke at the actually shallow sea.
We drove to Uithuizen and then on to Uithuizermeeden, from where we drove towards the first dyke, the dreamer. The road lead us through the dyke and we came to polder land: straight roads and long drive ways to the farms.
We saw much birdlife, waterbirds, birds of prey sitting on top of a pole and high up the bushes.
My father had read of an article about a piece of art that was placed on top of the sea dyke, something called De Hemelpoort or in English: Heaven's Gate.
Intriging enough to go look it up.
It was rather late in the afternoon and the sun was starting to drop which created beautiful sky and a brilliant light over the shallow sea low land.
Eventhough the wind was watercold and we had to walk quite some, it was sure worth it.
A simple, somewhat Romanesque 3 pilar construction of rusty metal, held together on top by a plate of metal with a curled whole in the middle stood lonely on the dyke, stood at the curve of the dyke and the sun was colouring orange right besides it.
The combination of this and the air of salt water, which was actually partially still frozen, made this a very special encounter.
haha when I yelled : left! my dad startled and almost choked in a candy...we had to stop before he could drive properly... more travel advice
nighthawk's Related Pages
Valom Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Valom
- 14 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Valom?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Valom
Photos in ValomSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues