"Westervoort" Westervoort by nighthawk
Westervoort Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 4 photos
On a Sunday afternoon we visited friends in Westervoort, which is a little village next to Arnhem.
The first written mentioning of the settlement Westervoort was in 726 ad. Bishop Willibrord of Utrecht gave his friend Werenfried the spiritiual care of Elst and Westervoort.
Like most villages in the countryside people lived from agriculture and cattle-breeding.
Between 1400 and 1800 several large estates were described in official documents.
More and more trades men and crafts men came to live here.
Besides the more traditional professions were some special ones like a brewery and a distillery.
A mill factory on steam and a windmill were built in 1803, gone now.
The municipal treasurer made coconut mat.
And in 1853 some stone-factories were built.
In 1774 a new splitting of the river IJssel was dug. A ferry-boat connected Westervoort to Arnhem, this was already mentioned in 1295.
When Arnhem became big in 1735, the city took care of proper roads to and from the ferry.
A boatbridge (1763) made it easier to reach Arnhem but when the French took over government, the bridge hastily had to be transported to Grave.
Only in 1901 a proper bridge was built, right next to the famous first large railbridge of The Netherlands ((built in 1853-1856).
During reformation the old late gothic parish church with 13th century tower became property of the protestants and the catholics had to go to church in Loo, a little village not too far from Westervoort.
In 1842 the catholics got their own church.
Since The Netherlands became one, Westervoort is an indepent municipality which had only 600 inhabitants in 1813. Nowadays it is at least 16000.
Westervoort is a lively community with 3 churches, 9 primary schools, kindergarten, shopping mall, sports and gym.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Westervoort Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Westervoort
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Westervoort?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Westervoort
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues