"Woerden" Woerden by nighthawk
Woerden Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 37 photos
Woerden is right in the middle of the "green heart" of the Randstad (industrial and metropolitan conurbation occupying an area of peat and clay lowlands, west-central Netherlands. The Randstad (“Ring City”) consists of major Dutch industrial cities extending in a crescent (open to the southeast) from Utrecht in the east to Dordrecht in the south and including Hilversum, Amsterdam, Haarlem, Leiden, The Hague, and Rotterdam, source Brittanica).
The history of Woerden goes back for centuries but little of it is known, especially the part of our early era. Fortunately more and more gets known thanks to historical diggings.br>At the beginning of the Western era Woerden was known as Laurium, as a settlement at the northern border of the Roman empire. That border was formed by the river Rhine (now the old Rhine). It had a castellum, close to or at the place where now the city museum and the St. Peter-church are, for recent finds in the soil proof so. Those finds can be seen in the museum.
The history of Woerden becomes more clear in the first centuries of the second millenium. A church and a castle were built and wars and quarrels took place, followed by peace-making.
In 1278 count Floris V bought a strong house for Hermanus van Woerden as token of peace. Hermanus could use it as its own but had to promiss to make it a bastion.
In 1372 Woerden got his city rights and the city gets walls, canals and an annual fair. As of 1401 Woerden is allowed to have a bailiff, 2 mayors and 8 councillors.
nighthawk's Related Pages
Woerden Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Woerden in the autumn"
- "Woerden, NL"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Woerden
- 9 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Woerden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woerden
Photos in WoerdenSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues