"Enkhuizen and surrounding area" Top 5 Page for this destination Zaandam by nighthawk
Zaandam Travel Guide: 58 reviews and 194 photos
<CENTER> <div style="background color=azure"><BR><FONT FACE="TEKTON"SIZE="4"COLOR="PURPLE">Here I will add some photographs I made this summer when we visited the open air museum in Enkhuizen.<BR>After parking our car we bought a ticket for the museum and then took a ferry to the museum.<BR>This is a very special museum because it s a little village, with in it re-built houses that once stood somewhere else in the Netherlands.<BR>There is a street from Urk, some house from the province I come from, Groningen, and also some ovens which used to be in the northern province as well; in the ovens shells were burnt to dust and that dust was used as a cement between bricks.<BR>On the photograph you see the steam train in Medemblik, ready to go. This steam train will stop in Hoorn.
There is a lot to be seen in Medemblik: castle Radboud, bakery musuem. More information can be found on <a href="http://www.museumstoomtram.nl/eng/index.htm" target=_blank>site museum steam train.</a href>
Medemblik is close to Enkhuizen and also situated at the IJsselmeer.
These pictures I took on the boat that took us to the museum:
<BR><BR><BR><img src="http://www.virtualtourist.com/p/.115410/a-80-1-6747.jpg"height="325" align="left">
<-- The famous tower in Enkhuizen, called "Drommedaris"
<img src="http://www.virtualtourist.com/p/.115410/a-80-3-6778.jpg"height="250" align="right">
--^ The ovens
Clogs, windmills and tulips, that is the image manu foreigners have of "Holland". In reality are The Netherlands far more than that: a highly diverse country with a rich cultural heritage. The Zuiderzeemuseum shows people a particularly fascinating period of the Dutch industry when what is now the country's largest inlad lake was still a true sea, the Zuiderzee (South Sea). It was not untiul the completion of the Afsluitdijk (enclosure dam) in 1932 that this open link with the North Sea disappeared and the Zuiderzee was divided into two bodies of water, the IJsselmeer and the Waddenzee. The enclosure of the Zuiderzee brought irreversible change to a culture of traditional costumes and centuries-old crafts and to the rugged life of the fishermen in their daily struggle with the elements. the Zuiderzee region had also figured largely in the colourful history of the Dutch East Indian Company (VOC). This long and rich regional history is brought to life for you in the Zuiderzeemuseum. A visit to the museum sure is exciting and we had a great time and will for sure go back there this year!
Stroll throughout time, as well indoor as outdoor. Play the old Dutch games with your kids or dress up in traditional costumes. You sure will need a whole day to see it all :-)!
<img src="http://www.virtualtourist.com/p/.115410/a-80-0-6734.jpg"height="325"><img src="http://www.virtualtourist.com/p/.115410/a-80-5-6817.jpg"height="325">
This is how the fish dried in the open air.
The weather had been sunny all morning but since our arrival in the museum it got more and more cloudy. But at some point, when I took these photographs, the sun was shining again, so we thought we were in luck. Unfortunately I got the stupid idea to rest a bit on a terrace and take a cup of coffee. Dumb decision! It started to pour!
<img src="http://www.virtualtourist.com/p/.115410/a-80-4-6801.jpg"height="300" align="left"><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>Luckily this bird was used to strange birds on two legs :-)
<img src="http://www.virtualtourist.com/p/.115410/a-80-2-6761.jpg"height="225" align="right"><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>These duckling and the sun shining a bit in the water....just lovely...
Restaurant 'De Bonte Boel' in Groet. The place is very colourfull, lots of kitsch. Kids don't have to sit still all... more travel advice
nighthawk's Related Pages
Zaandam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Alphons new Zaandam Page"
- "Zaandam and surroundings"
- "Enkhuizen and surrounding area"
- "Zaanse Schans"
- "sandravdp's new Zaandam Page"
- "The Zaan region and its surroundings."
- "avdb1948's new Zaandam Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zaandam
- Hotels in Zaandam
- Transportation in Zaandam
- Nightlife in Zaandam
- Restaurants in Zaandam
- Warnings and Dangers in Zaandam
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zaandam
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Zaandam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zaandam
- Posted in Travel Netherlands Forum "Re: amsterdam to the hague"
- Commented on one of dila's Zaandam travel pages
- Wrote a Review Restaurant 'De Bonte Boel' in... in Zaandam Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Restaurant 'De Bonte Boel' in..."
- created a Zaandam Travel Page "Enkhuizen and surrounding area"
Photos in ZaandamSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues