"Zwolle" Top 5 Page for this destination Zwolle by nighthawk

Zwolle Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 268 photos

Although the provincial capital of Overijssel is the economic and cultural centre of a sprawling area and the seat of important trading companies, it still looks like a 17th century fortress with its bastions and its radial moat.

The historic old town with its beautifully restored houses can be easily explored on foot but if you want to try something different you should take a trip round the town through the canals in a pedal-boat. If you want to learn more about life there in the past, you should go to the Provinciaal Overijssels Museum on the Melkmarkt. In this aristocratic mansion there is furniture from Gothic to Art Nouveau on display and there is also an interesting archaeological department at present in the 16th century vaults. The richly carved chancel of the St. Michaelskerk with the brutal and sensual faces never fails to attract attention.

In Zwolle I always meet with friends who come from the other side of the country, a date in the middle so to say.<BR>Most of the time I forget to take my camera with me, so the last time I went there, I bought a single use camera.<BR>In December I visited Zwolle once more, this time equiped with my new digital camera! Some photographs I then took can be seen in my <strong>travelogue</strong>.

• Last visit to Zwolle: Aug 2001