Larochette Favorite Tips by nighthawk

Larochette Favorites: 9 reviews and 9 photos

Well described

Favorite thing: On this photograph you can see what I mean by well described : almost everywhere hang a big poster showing what the room was used for.
And in this one, you can see the passages as well fer real as in the poster.
Life wasn t too bad if you were a lady of the house!

Shooting holes - Larochette

Shooting holes

Shooting holes

Favorite thing: Although most of the castle now is a ruin, you can still see structures of fireplaces, and in a booklet we bought when we got in, it was well written what each space once was used for.
On this pic, obviously, are shooting holes, it is in the Homburger house.

Overview - Larochette

Overview

Entrance

Favorite thing: I was quite surprised after paying the fee for entrance. I had not expected it would look like an English garden (as I saw in telly), and with my lively imagination, I could see ladies walking wearing those terrible big skirts.

At first I did not even see the ruins or the tower, only after walking in, it became more and more clear what this sight was like.

Larochette

To give you an idea of the building

Favorite thing: A drawing of the castle as it probably was in the 15th century.
A - C - E -->Houses where unknown royal families have lived
B --> The Homburger House (the building at the left)
D --> The Karolinger House (on the right, at the front; which we visited)

Fondest memory: To reach the Karolinger house we had to climb up a high ladder, brrr, I got fear of heights so I had a tough time getting up.

You get an idea of what living in the castle was like, for big posters of daily business show what a room was used for.

One room has an outside adding, a room stuck to the tower, totally of wood. I gathered all my courage and went in that room to have a look over the city, well, I just wanted to feel like the lady of the castle.
Sigh, I was only just enjoying that idea when my youngest came running in, in no time I was back in the more solid part of the tower! brrr

High up the mountain

Favorite thing: This castle arises really high above the village of Larochette. To get there, we had to climb some narrow stairs and then go all around the castle before we could enter it.
The entrance was at the other side of the hill, where the slope is real steep.
On the photograph you can see the path we followed: coming in on the left and following it at this side.

Fondest memory: We did try to walk down the alternative way but after some slipping and gliding we decided to go back the way we came... I had fun, am not sure hubby had.

Homburger house, Larochette - Larochette

Homburger house, Larochette

Great starting point for a hike.

Favorite thing: Standing on castle ground you can look around and see the great Luxembourg country side.
We did hike, but we started near Berdorf, another small village in Luxembourg.

Fondest memory: On this photograph you can see part of the Homburger house.
The history of this castle is rich and it is rather well documented.

• Updated Dec 7, 2004

nighthawk

“C'est la Vie!”

Badges & Stats in Larochette

Have you been to Larochette?

Latest Activity in Larochette