"Larochette" Larochette by nighthawk

Larochette Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 74 photos

Larochette or Fels as it is also called, is geographically central located and is dominated by the remains of the large castle that is here.
The so called Crehenge house has recently been complete restored.
This historical town is located at the borders of the river the White Ernz.

It was quite a hike up to the castle. From the castle some narrow stairs lead us up the hill, passing some houses build on the slope.
Then onwards over a path that lead us round the castle. At the right was a steep slope so we were cautious of not falling.
But the castle was more than we had expected.
When we passed the entrance gate it was like an English garden, as I d seen in films. Terrace like.
But when we crossed that garden we came to a moat and defense walls. So strange to see a castle within the castle.
That was not all ..... after this we came to a large house with a high wooden stairs leading us to the entrance door.
It was a complete house with a dancing hall, a religious hall, a bakery, too much, we even saw a toilet made in the outer wall....imagine seeing all falling out of the wall..
This house must have been a very comfortable house for its day and age.
There was also a build on wooden outer hanging room. when I finally dared to step on to the floor to see the village below, my youngest ran up the floor....can imagine. I was faster back in the house than I got to the window!

After some hours we went out again. Instead of walking back the same way we came, we decided to do the other side of the castle.
However, there was no visible path nearby...so we decided to slide down the slope to the path that was visible down below.
Dang! we had forgotten bout the moat! so when we were down, we could climb up again....pffff no fun!

• Intro Updated Mar 5, 2003

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2007 at 11:42 AM

After walking up to the castle we found that it was closed.

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2003 at 12:45 PM

Castle Larochette looks so cool! I love castles! What a fantastic hike that must've been!

nighthawk

“C'est la Vie!”

Badges & Stats in Larochette

Have you been to Larochette?

Latest Activity in Larochette