"Drenthe, the quiet province" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Drenthe by nighthawk
Provincie Drenthe Travel Guide: 653 reviews and 2,008 photos
So beautiful, Vincent van Gogh wished he had never set eyes on it. So strange to know that Vincent sometimes got depressed from this province.
Nowadays this province no longer is as gloomy as Vincent sometimes thought it was.
Main attraction are the megalith tombes called 'hunebedden'.
So beautiful that he wished he had never set eyes on it - Vincent van Gogh's opinion of the Province of Drenthe is applicable to the whole eastern side of The Netherlands. Times runs a bit slower here than in the rest of our little country. The region is less densely populated and in the idyllic villages you can still find people wearing clogs.
In other words, the ideal place to relax and get away from the hurly-burly of daily life. But you do not need to have an exclusive and passionate weakness for heaths, moors or coniferous woods to be able to enjoy a stay in this corner of the Netherlands. There can a lot be seen in the local museums and the atmosphere in the local cafes is great. So even on a grey day you don't have to feel bored.
As children we often vacationed with our parents in Drenthe, a lovely province with lots of wood. And megalithic tombs, 5000 year old graves from the ancient history.
We went to Drenthe to visit some of them, even though it was rainy weather.
First stop was Drouwen, a little place near Borger and Gasselte.
Then we went to the forest to walk in the tops of the trees. I gave up half way and hurried down again: fear of heights.
Then we went to Borger to visit the 'hunebed'. Had not been there in many years and they now even have a cromlech information centre there!
We visited that first and our kids had a great time there and earned a personal passport in which they promised never to climb those ancient graves again!
The 'walk in the trees' is an unique experience: first you walk in a sort of tower, where you have the feeling that you are walking under ground because on the walls is a display of animals, earth and such which can be found below. Then you climb some stairs up the tree and walk a sort of rope ladder (made of iron, don't fear) between the tree tops. It swung a bit but was a very special thing to do.For a better view on the photographs, just click on it :-)!
There are 52 megalithic tombs in Drenthe and 2 in Groningen. Once it were many more but time and men have ruined a lot of them.
A famous archeologist was Prof. Van Giffen, he discovered that the big rock formations had to be graves.
Restaurant 'Drouwenerzand'>Although we came at 7.15 pm, along with us 4 kids, at a dull wednesday evening, the... more travel advice
More information on Drouwenerzand, for recreation and vacation: everything close by! It has a bungalow park and a... more travel advice
nighthawk's Related Pages
Provincie Drenthe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The province where I was born and live again"
- "Drenthe, the quiet province"
- "Province of Drenthe"
- "Drenthe, heatherfields, forests and farmland"
- "My Province of Birth"
- "Drenthe (Netherlands)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Drenthe
- Hotels in Provincie Drenthe
- Transportation in Provincie Drenthe
- Nightlife in Provincie Drenthe
- Restaurants in Provincie Drenthe
- Shopping in Provincie Drenthe
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Drenthe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincie Drenthe
- 86 Reviews
- 167 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Provincie Drenthe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Drenthe
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues