Provincie Friesland Local Custom Tips by nighthawk Top 5 Page for this destination
Provincie Friesland Local Customs: 5 reviews and 5 photos
Throughout the province of Friesland (the most in the south west area)are some remarkable monuments, that being original bell towers.
Building church towers was an expensive thing to do and because people wanted to announce church services and/or the passing away of a fellow villager in a dignified manner, they searched for a cheaper solution, thus coming to build bell towers.
Different parts of Friesland have different way of building a bell tower, ie the towers in Skarsterlan have a so called helmet roof: a kinda hat of 4 equal, curved shape roofings.
The local tourist information service has a nice booklet with a route by these bell towers.
Mirns / Murns
Since the Frisian language was acknowledged, all entrance signs on public roads got, next to the Dutch name of the village/town, a Frisian adding.
It can be rather confusing but just prepare yourself well before you travel.
At first, after the change to language, some signs only showed the Frisian name, but when this turned out to be too confusing, they added the Dutch name as well.
Rea kliff, near Stavoren
At the Rea (Red) Klif near the village of Warns (Fryslan) stands a simple monument in memory of the 'Battle near Warns', which occurred in the year 1345.
The Frisians fought a freedom fight against William IV, Count of Henegouwen, Holland and Zeeland.
The inscription on the stone reads: 'Leaver dea as slaef', which means: We prefer death over slavery.
They succeeded in defeating William IV.
There is no archelogical proof of this battle and some people look upon this monument as a symbol of the Frisian identity in a modern time.
It may even be an idealized picture of the "Frisian freedom" during the middle ages, when there was no king or emperor that had power over Friesland.
Those times weren t that easy probably because local potentates fought for power.
As as I stated earlier, the people of this province are a proud bunch.
The tend to talk solely Frisian sometimes, especially in the more rural areas.
Even their postcards are in Frisian language!
Tige tank means thanks very much!
More Reviews (6)
nighthawk's Related Pages
Provincie Friesland Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Netherlands - STAVOREN - Friesland"
- "The Frisian lakes"
- "11 Cities Cycling Tour"
- "Fryslân – Friesland – Frisia"
- "Africa in Friesland"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Friesland
- Hotels in Provincie Friesland
- Transportation in Provincie Friesland
- Nightlife in Provincie Friesland
- Restaurants in Provincie Friesland
- Shopping in Provincie Friesland
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Friesland
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Provincie Friesland
- 65 Reviews
- 192 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Provincie Friesland?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Friesland
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (151)
Top Provincie Friesland hotels
- Leeuwarden Hotels
- 129 Reviews - 473 Photos
- Schiermonnikoog Hotels
- 48 Reviews - 140 Photos
- Heerenveen Hotels
- 18 Reviews - 38 Photos
- Holwerd Hotels
- 1 Hotel
- Sneek Hotels
- 27 Reviews - 105 Photos
- Terschelling Hotels
- 53 Reviews - 130 Photos
- Franeker Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 64 Photos
- Ameland Hotels
- 95 Reviews - 127 Photos
- Workum Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 16 Photos
- Vlieland Hotels
- 5 Reviews - 28 Photos
- Harlingen Hotels
- 22 Reviews - 117 Photos
- Drachten Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 13 Photos
- Woudsend Hotels
- 8 Reviews - 33 Photos
- Wolvega Hotels
- 2 Hotels
- Winsum Hotels
- See nearby hotels