"The Netherlands" Netherlands by nighthawk
Netherlands Travel Guide: 31,765 reviews and 86,398 photos
40% of the land is below sea level, the dark blue parts of this map.
Over the centuries, large parts of the Netherlands have frequently been flooded.
Every now and again some parts get flooded still.
The text that goes by it is as follows:<BR><I>Snacks<BR>Snack bars are an essential part of many people's eating habits in the Netherlands. On average, they eat 29 grams of 'nuts, seeds and snacks' per day. Bread is the most popular food at 135 grams per day. The photograph shows a kroket (croquette), a deep-fried roll containing meat stock, breadcrumbs and wheat flour.<BR>(Source: Food Institute)</I><BR><BR><BR><strong>The Netherlands</strong>
The shape of The Netherlands has changed dramatically during the last 2000 years. Since the Romans ruled here large pieces of land were swallowed by the sea , a thing that has happened in Zeeland and in the Zuiderzee-area (now the IJsselmeer) and the Frisian Lowlands. During the Middle Ages the provinces North and South Holland were almost completely covered with water, something which can still be seen on historical maps.
Since then large pieces of land were gained from the sea. The Dutch created The Netherlands. The ongoing fight against the water came to a climax when it was decided to carry out the Deltaplan. This hydraulic mega project has to protect the south western part of our country against flooding. After the great flood in 1953 first was started with this plan.
<strong>The Dutch way of living</strong>
The German poet Heinrich Heine stated once that everything in The Netherlands happened 50 years afterwards, a place where easy-going, hard working, law obedient citizens who are averse to changes, but for those who study the Dutch policy towards drugs, the Gay Games or the resistence of the Dutch population against the placing of nuclear weapons on Dutch soil (in NAVO circles called 'hollanditis'), will see a different picture.<BR>
The young earl (count?) William of Orange inherited the possessions of his second cousin Rene of Chalons, which also held the principality of Orange. The house of Chalons had as device: Je maintiendrai Chalons.
Prince William of Orange decide to use this device but replaced Chalons by Nassau: Je maintiendrai Nassau, which meant as much as: I will maintain my house of Nassau and I will stand up for the rights of my family.
The end of the apology of prince William of Orange also ends with this saying. In later years he just used Je maintiendrai and so it stayed after some years.
The descendants of the prince kept this motto, even when they had their own motto.
Since 1813 is it the motto of the Netherlands.
Go to <a href="http://www.friesian.com/ross/orange.htm" target=_blank>The house of Orange</a href> for more about it.<BR><BR><P>Don't forget to look at my travelogues!<BR>In one of them I have placed some photographs of plates, so called Delfts Blue. And yes, one of the walls in our home is this colour orange! Real Dutch :-).<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <a href="http://firstname.lastname@example.org&gmap=worlddmotion&mapstyle=style1&urlsite=http://www.virtualtourist.com/nighthawk&welcomemessage=Please leave me a message, I will reply :-)" target="_blank"><strong><font color="orange">Please sign my guestmap!</strong></font></a>
It s hilarious and for me it was an eyeopener on how we live.
The pic is from their site...let s hope I don t get in trouble 'cause of it :)
For those of you who are interested how to pronounce Dutch, I found an interesting link: http://www.sr.net/srnet/InfoSurinam/dutch.html
- Pros:small, what you see is what you get
- Cons:small, little surprises
- In a nutshell:a good country to live in
Our crown prince Willem-Alexander and his wife Maxima had their baby : Catharina-Amalia Beatrix Carmen Victoria. Her... more travel advice
these pringles tasted a bit cheesy, sweet, not too bad however best not eaten too much of it ... the shops once sold... more travel advice
- See All Literature
- See All Don t mix booze with sports!
- Watching us Dutch dress up...
- FestivalsMay: Jazz in the...
nighthawk's Related Pages
Netherlands Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A PRACTICAL AND PECULIAR GUIDE TO THE NETHERLANDS!"
- "A Great Place to Live In"
- "the Netherlands - my country on my way"
- "Margaret's Page"
- "Travelling around Holland"
- "Small Country, Big Variety"
- "BICYCLES RULES!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Netherlands
- Hotels in Netherlands
- Transportation in Netherlands
- Nightlife in Netherlands
- Restaurants in Netherlands
- Shopping in Netherlands
- Warnings and Dangers in Netherlands
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Netherlands
- 985 Reviews
- 2,206 Photos
- 147 Forum posts
- 108 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Netherlands?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Netherlands
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (151)
Top Netherlands hotels
- Amsterdam Hotels
- 10043 Reviews - 20824 Photos
- Rotterdam Hotels
- 1407 Reviews - 3780 Photos
- The Hague Hotels
- 1221 Reviews - 2810 Photos
- Maastricht Hotels
- 1256 Reviews - 3216 Photos
- Eindhoven Hotels
- 330 Reviews - 972 Photos
- Noordwijk aan Zee Hotels
- 64 Reviews - 163 Photos
- Utrecht Hotels
- 624 Reviews - 1484 Photos
- Groningen Hotels
- 429 Reviews - 1200 Photos
- Nijmegen Hotels
- 413 Reviews - 790 Photos
- Zandvoort Hotels
- 37 Reviews - 92 Photos
- Bergen op Zoom Hotels
- 67 Reviews - 241 Photos
- Delft Hotels
- 483 Reviews - 1300 Photos
- Tilburg Hotels
- 164 Reviews - 439 Photos
- Leiden Hotels
- 539 Reviews - 1278 Photos
- Arnhem Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 1065 Photos