"Slopy hills with vineyards and lovely old towns" District de Grevenmacher by nighthawk
District de Grevenmacher Travel Guide: 200 reviews and 507 photos
The valley of the Moselle, that has his wealth to the fact that she is situated to proximity of water and that she has access to fertile earths, was colonized a long time before the roman era. In regards to Grevenmacher, a first primitive town was located behind the Holy Chapel Cross to the place says "Buerggruef" no far of the roman way taking to Luxembourg.
Some centuries later, the Luxembourg counts choose a defense place sure in order to protect their grounds against the powerful archbishops of Truces. They pulled together at Grevenmacher, this time in the valley, to the crossroads of the principal roads taking Luxembourg to Truces and of Truces to Thionville. This is where was developped, probably under the orders of the count Henri V, a powerful fortress not having to be dismantled that in 1688. This is in 1252 that this same count, has that one had given the nickname "Henri the Blondel" and that was a son of the influential comtesse Ermesinde, remit the frankness letter to the city of Grevenmacher.
The locality by the Moselle often was destroyed and extorted during the course of the centuries. Today the small city is a district administrative center and of district as well as a commercial modern center. Oriented towards the future, the métropole of the Moselle remembers nevertheless with pride her past rich in historic events. She invites you to discover the traces of this past while taking a walk on the cultural path established in the old fortification.
nighthawk's Related Pages
District de Grevenmacher Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Slopy hills with vineyards and lovely old towns"
- Create a District de Grevenmacher Travel Page
- Things to Do in District de Grevenmacher
- Hotels in District de Grevenmacher
- Transportation in District de Grevenmacher
- Restaurants in District de Grevenmacher
- Shopping in District de Grevenmacher
- Warnings and Dangers in District de Grevenmacher
- See All...
Badges & Stats in District de Grevenmacher
- 22 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to District de Grevenmacher?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in District de Grevenmacher
Photos in District de GrevenmacherSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues