"Salo" Top 5 Page for this destination Salò by nighthawk
Salò Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 192 photos
In 1943 Mussolini fled here and rebuilt his fascist party here, thus forming an italian fascist government which held for two years.
When the allied freed Italy, Mussolini tried to escape to Switzerland but was caught and shot at Lake Como in April 1945.
Signs of former prosperity and importance can still be found in Salo. It has a beautiful lakeside promenade.
It is not sure how Salo got his name. According to a legend Queen Salonina gave her name to the town or an Etrusk magistrate named Saloo.
Beatrice Scala, wife of count Bernabo, wanted to make Salo capital of the ' Magnifica Patria' in 1377. She had a new citadel built (nothing remained of it).
Gasparo Bartoletti (1540-1609), the man who most likely developed the first violin was born in Salo.
We haven t tried it, but this seems like a convenient thing to do when visiting around lake Garda. Perhaps next year?... more travel advice
It s a bit like crowd surfing because of all the people that tend to come to these markets, but it is fun to strawl by... more travel advice
nighthawk's Related Pages
Salò Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The beautiful town of Salò"
- "Salo, last trip of Duce"
- "Salo - a worthy stop"
- "Salò Page"
- "Saturday Night Specials :-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salò
- Hotels in Salò
- Transportation in Salò
- Restaurants in Salò
- Shopping in Salò
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salò
- 18 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Salò?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salò
Photos in SalòSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues