"Venice" Venice by nighthawk

Venice Travel Guide: 8,203 reviews and 21,709 photos

You will love it or hate it ... most people that I asked about Venice before we went, gave that comment.
So I wasn't quite sure what to expect when the train drove into Venice's station.

Venice, city with many faces: melancholic, misty, breathtaking, cheerful and sunny, but also it is a city scarved by the ages gone by. This city has too many atmospheres to absorb in just one visit.
'La Serenissima' - her highness - was a self given name Venice had. Rightfully too, for this city at the lagune was queen over the Adriatic Sea for ages, ruling over the world seas with her war fleat.
Trade and conquers over enemies brought immense wealth which can still be seen in the former palaces of royal families.
Venice was built on 118 little islands, connected to one and other by more than 400 bridges.
Mysterious alley ways suddenly bring you to lovely little squares.
About a hundred churches are decorated with famous works of art.
The lion, symbol of Saint Marc, can be seen almost anywhere as symbol of the power this republic once had.

Venice, also known for Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) who was allowed to put a telescope in the tower at Piazza San Marco.
Here Galileo wrote his book : Siderius Nuncius, which brought him in conflict with the clerical reign.
After the success of this book, which is an enthousiastic introduction into astronomy with the use of a telescope.

Lets follow these gondala's into town! Cannot wait to see wether I will love or hate this town!

Just this ...

They were everywhere it seems: these beautiful masks.
We talked to a certain shop owner and he told us his business was a family business and they designed their own mask.

• Pros:architecture, history, lots to photograph
  • Cons:all those tourists! aaaaaaargh!
  • In a nutshell:i think i fell in love.........
  • Intro Updated Feb 16, 2004

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2005 at 6:35 AM

·:*¨`*:·~My§ticÄl~·:*." Great city and glad you captured a feeling of the place. I love the place early in the morning NO TOURISTS or during the Carneval... ·:*¨`*:·~My§ticÄl~·:*."

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2005 at 7:17 AM

Great pages on Venezio Dutchy. Hope to get to Venice before it is damaged by flood waters. It truly is a majestic city.

• La_Holandesa's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2005 at 3:49 PM

La Dolce Vita!! It's Regatta time! On grand Canal...Noooooooo I won''t row...I will wave hahaha. Geweldige foto's!!!! :o)

• tpal's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2004 at 1:49 PM

I love your photos of the more obscure details. I think it gives a very accurate sense of the environment. Encourages me to be more creative. Thanks

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2004 at 10:22 AM

You had 3 cameras going at the same time. Now thats what i call dedicated to v.t. hehehehehe, superb pages and all the best to you CLIFF.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2004 at 10:50 AM

What a lovely intoructory photograph. I enjoyed your emphasis on architectural details. Your tip on Peggy Guggenheim Cjollection was marvelous. Love Venice and enjoyed your tour to renew my memories.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2004 at 3:01 PM

I loved the place the second i left the station. Sure you will enjoy again too. Loved the doorknob pic!

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2003 at 12:23 AM

So you made it to ITALY!!! Did you succumb to the charms of Venice?! Beautiful photos as always! Oh.....Happy Belated Birthday too ! ;-))) Hope you had a GREAT one!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2003 at 1:01 PM

Beautiful page Roelienchen, Venice looks great ,all your pictures look great I love the ones with you and the girls and the one with Jacolien.Looks like you were behaving as well. Happy Birthdayyyyyyyyy.

• maryamy's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 10:21 AM

Fantastic page. I love Venice.

nighthawk