"Venice" Venice by nighthawk
Venice Travel Guide: 8,203 reviews and 21,709 photos
So I wasn't quite sure what to expect when the train drove into Venice's station.
Venice, city with many faces: melancholic, misty, breathtaking, cheerful and sunny, but also it is a city scarved by the ages gone by. This city has too many atmospheres to absorb in just one visit.
'La Serenissima' - her highness - was a self given name Venice had. Rightfully too, for this city at the lagune was queen over the Adriatic Sea for ages, ruling over the world seas with her war fleat.
Trade and conquers over enemies brought immense wealth which can still be seen in the former palaces of royal families.
Venice was built on 118 little islands, connected to one and other by more than 400 bridges.
Mysterious alley ways suddenly bring you to lovely little squares.
About a hundred churches are decorated with famous works of art.
The lion, symbol of Saint Marc, can be seen almost anywhere as symbol of the power this republic once had.
Venice, also known for Galileo Galilei (1564-1642) who was allowed to put a telescope in the tower at Piazza San Marco.
Here Galileo wrote his book : Siderius Nuncius, which brought him in conflict with the clerical reign.
After the success of this book, which is an enthousiastic introduction into astronomy with the use of a telescope.
We talked to a certain shop owner and he told us his business was a family business and they designed their own mask.
- Pros:architecture, history, lots to photograph
- Cons:all those tourists! aaaaaaargh!
- In a nutshell:i think i fell in love.........
For a small ship I was surprised by the waves we felt when the fire boat had passed us. We never saw or smelled fire so... more travel advice
At every boat stop there are signs showing what is behind the stop. So one cannot be unsure where to get off the... more travel advice
nighthawk's Related Pages
Venice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wandering around Venice with Suvanki"
- "Amore eterno per Venezia la Serenissima :-)"
- "Venice – the City of Art"
- "Vacations in Venice"
- "MERAVIGLIOSA VENEZIA"
- "Giacomo CASANOVA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Venice
- Hotels in Venice
- Transportation in Venice
- Nightlife in Venice
- Restaurants in Venice
- Shopping in Venice
- Warnings and Dangers in Venice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Venice
- 24 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (20)
Have you been to Venice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Venice
Photos in VeniceSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues