"Nancy" Nancy by nighthawk
Nancy Travel Guide: 178 reviews and 578 photos
<FONT FACE="TEKTON"SIZE="4"COLOR="#8B008B"><div style="background color=#E6E6FA">The history of the province Lorraine goes back at least a thousand years B.C., but it were the Romans who laid the basis for its later prosperity because the Romans built roads, aquaducts, towns, etc.
When the Romans lost the Lorraine, it became part of the Charlemagne's empire. When it was divided, Lothar II received the northern part, Lotharii Regnum, which gave its name to Lorraine. In the 10th century, the area was divided into Lower and Upper Lorraine. To the south was the Duchy of Lorraine and to the North the three bishoprics of Metz, Toul and Verdun, with the counties of Bar, Luxembourg and Deux Ponts. In the 13th century came the gradual rise of the Duchy of Lorraine, an area coveted by both France and the Holy Roman Empire but which succeeded in retaining its independence.
After the last Duke Stanislaw Lesczynski had disappeared Lorraine became part of the kingdom of France in 1766. Because Lorraine was at the junction of Latin and German worlds, it was politically and economically sensitive when the Industrial Revolution swept across Europe. So in 1871 the Prussians defeated France and were able to annex the German-speaking territories and Metz.
Only after many bloody figths on its soil during World War I, with Verdun as the most tragic symbol of this tragic period, Lorraine was returned to France.
During World War II new fights were fought, but after 1945 the Lorraine became the heart of Europe.
Nancy is the capital of the province of Lorraine and is located along the rivers MeUrthe & Moselle.
It has a rich history. A proof of 18th century architecture is the Place Stanislaus, a public square. Early Art Nouveau can be found here as well as the world famous Daum glassware.
<font -1>Information I found on the www, will add more for own use and yours, if wanted :-)
Domremy: this idyllically-located spot is one of the most famous sites in Lorraine, for it was here that Joan of Arc,... more travel advice
nighthawk's Related Pages
Nancy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Nancy - UNESCO site and cradle of Art Nouveau"
- "Nancy La Belle"
- "WELCOME TO MY NANCY PAGE ......:-)"
- "Art Nouveau"
- "vividvivian's new Nancy Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nancy
- Hotels in Nancy
- Transportation in Nancy
- Nightlife in Nancy
- Restaurants in Nancy
- Shopping in Nancy
- Warnings and Dangers in Nancy
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Nancy
- 3 Reviews
- 1 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Nancy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nancy
Photos in NancySee All Photos (1)
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 108 reviews, 183 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen Intro, 99 reviews, 176 photos, 9 travelogues
- Hoogkerk Intro, 38 reviews, 87 photos, 5 travelogues
- Garrelsweer Intro, 41 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Netherlands Intro, 24 reviews, 64 photos, 9 travelogues
- Delfzijl Intro, 28 reviews, 47 photos, 4 travelogues
- The Hague Intro, 19 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 24 reviews, 45 photos, 3 travelogues
- Luxembourg Intro, 23 reviews, 45 photos, 2 travelogues
- Toronto Intro, 25 reviews, 42 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (151)
Latest Nancy hotel reviews
- Mercure Centre Stanislas
- 49 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013
- Hotel Les Portes D'Or
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jan 19, 2013
- Hotel des Prelats
- 44 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Crystal
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 1, 2013
- Etap Hotel Nancy Centre
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Hotel All Seasons Nancy Centre Gare
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 25, 2013
- Ibis Nancy Centre Gare
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Cd Grand Hotel De La Reine
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013