"Small Town with Big Flavor!" Top 5 Page for this destination Hickory by Hexepatty
Hickory Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 186 photos
It's in the foot hills of the Appalchian Mountains. Rolling hills with lakes, rivers and streams all over. Quite pretty. Nice people. Close to everything.
Hickory is close to everything but the ocean. And while that is a bit of a bummer, you could still be oceanside within 5 - 6 hours. So it's still better than living in the middle of the US. We are one hour to Boone (the mountains), one hour to Asheville (hip town plus in the mountains), one hour to Charlotte (urban-lite, but also has a major airport), one hour to Winston Salem (I don't what that means, having never been to Winston Salem, but I suspect Winston Salem is still more known than Hickory...)
We are really close -- within one hour! -- to wineries and lush vineyards. That means everything when you lack all other things. Decent wines with quite a few varieties.
Nice people here, too! Give you the clothes off your back, kind of good folk.
It's pretty. Everywhere you turn you see rolling hills or mountains in the background. And I feel pretty safe here, too.
Hickory is in Catawba County, which is located in Western North Carolina. As large a city as Hickory is, it is not the county seat (think capitol!) of the county. Newton is the county seat. Newton is pretty small in comparison to the city limits of Hickory. Other cities, towns, villages located in Catawba County include: Hickory, Newton, Conover, Claremont, Maiden, Mountain View, Long View, Viewmont. There are more, but I won't bore you with the rest as they are quite tiny.
In addition to Hickory being the major city of Catawba, it is also, as a city, the hub of activity for a four county region. It is not unusual to hear someone mention "Uni-Four" or the "Greater Hickory Region". This is because Catawba County, combined with three other counties comprise a unique region.
Catawba, Burke, Caldwell and Alexander Counties are the counties that make up the "Uni-Four" or "Greater Hickory Region."
Burke County has Morganton as its county seat. Caldwell calls Lenoir their principal city and county seat. Alexander's county seat is Taylorsville.
Many people from Burke, Caldwell and Alexander shop, work and eat in Hickory. We are "it" another words. We have the Sam's Club. And Hooters. Believe me, we are 'it'...
I find that strange and yet endearing because Hickory lacks lots of things I would like to have in a small city. Certainly, you get the gist, however: this should give you an idea of what it might be like to live in Morganton, Lenoir and/or Taylorsville.
The reason I am explaining this is because most folks outside of N Carolina are unfamiliar with Hickory. But they will know Hickory before knowing all the other small towns mentioned above. Therefore I will have all my tips for the Greater Hickory region placed under Hickory. I will not separate tips out for the smaller towns of Taylorsville or Lenoir or Claremont, for example... They'll be filed under Hickory until the day comes when the Hickory pages have to compete with Morganton, or dare I say Taylorsville (a dry county no less!!!)... at which time I'll separate my tips out accordingly. I'll always point out where the location is in my tips if it is not in Hickory proper.
I love my little hometown, but I won't kid you or myself. We really are a small town with big heart. But we are a small town!
Enjoy my musings and tips...
- Pros:It's pretty, quiet, filled with good people! And there is a CHICO'S!
- Cons:You better get a street map. Oy! Two Words: COUNTRY ROADS!
- In a nutshell:Lovely by Day, Serene by Night... you should visit!
Burgers, BBQ, fries and Onion rings. Fried pies and sweet tea... friendly family service and all in the middle of... more travel advice
To get TO/FROM Hickory (presuming you are flying in/out of Charlotte!) Rent from AVIS or HERTZ or ENTERPRISE. Avis and... more travel advice
Hexepatty's Related Pages
Hickory Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HICKORY NORTH CAROLINA"
- "Small Town with Big Flavor!"
- ""My Hometown"... Bruce Springteen"
- "I spent a Year in 4 Days in Hickory"
- "Rambling Ravings... Thoughts of the Day"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hickory
- Hotels in Hickory
- Transportation in Hickory
- Nightlife in Hickory
- Restaurants in Hickory
- Shopping in Hickory
- Warnings and Dangers in Hickory
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hickory
- 13 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Hickory?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hickory
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Balls leaking dog at the..."
- Commented on one of LoriPori's Hickory travel pages
- updated a Hickory Travelogue "Life on a Small Farm in Western N. Carolina"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Life on a Small Farm in Western N. Carolina"
- Wrote a Review Fine Dining in Hickory in Hickory Restaurants
- Uploaded a Video to Hickory
Photos in HickorySee All Photos (21)
Videos in HickorySee All Videos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Bali Intro, 53 reviews, 120 photos, 5 travelogues
- Honolulu Intro, 20 reviews, 67 photos, 5 travelogues
- Orlando Intro, 23 reviews, 59 photos, 5 travelogues
- Hawaii (State of) Intro, 7 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Buenos Aires Intro, 23 reviews, 44 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait Intro, 11 reviews, 55 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Miami Beach Intro, 31 reviews, 34 photos
- New York City Intro, 27 reviews, 28 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Montevideo Intro, 21 reviews, 33 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kissimmee Intro, 22 reviews, 32 photos, 2 travelogues