"Small Town with Big Flavor!" Top 5 Page for this destination Hickory by Hexepatty

Hickory Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 186 photos

The View

It's in the foot hills of the Appalchian Mountains. Rolling hills with lakes, rivers and streams all over. Quite pretty. Nice people. Close to everything.

A few things I like about my new hometown

Hickory is close to everything but the ocean. And while that is a bit of a bummer, you could still be oceanside within 5 - 6 hours. So it's still better than living in the middle of the US. We are one hour to Boone (the mountains), one hour to Asheville (hip town plus in the mountains), one hour to Charlotte (urban-lite, but also has a major airport), one hour to Winston Salem (I don't what that means, having never been to Winston Salem, but I suspect Winston Salem is still more known than Hickory...)

We are really close -- within one hour! -- to wineries and lush vineyards. That means everything when you lack all other things. Decent wines with quite a few varieties.

Nice people here, too! Give you the clothes off your back, kind of good folk.

It's pretty. Everywhere you turn you see rolling hills or mountains in the background. And I feel pretty safe here, too.

Things to Know about Hickory

Hickory is in Catawba County, which is located in Western North Carolina. As large a city as Hickory is, it is not the county seat (think capitol!) of the county. Newton is the county seat. Newton is pretty small in comparison to the city limits of Hickory. Other cities, towns, villages located in Catawba County include: Hickory, Newton, Conover, Claremont, Maiden, Mountain View, Long View, Viewmont. There are more, but I won't bore you with the rest as they are quite tiny.

In addition to Hickory being the major city of Catawba, it is also, as a city, the hub of activity for a four county region. It is not unusual to hear someone mention "Uni-Four" or the "Greater Hickory Region". This is because Catawba County, combined with three other counties comprise a unique region.

Catawba, Burke, Caldwell and Alexander Counties are the counties that make up the "Uni-Four" or "Greater Hickory Region."

Burke County has Morganton as its county seat. Caldwell calls Lenoir their principal city and county seat. Alexander's county seat is Taylorsville.

Many people from Burke, Caldwell and Alexander shop, work and eat in Hickory. We are "it" another words. We have the Sam's Club. And Hooters. Believe me, we are 'it'...

I find that strange and yet endearing because Hickory lacks lots of things I would like to have in a small city. Certainly, you get the gist, however: this should give you an idea of what it might be like to live in Morganton, Lenoir and/or Taylorsville.

The reason I am explaining this is because most folks outside of N Carolina are unfamiliar with Hickory. But they will know Hickory before knowing all the other small towns mentioned above. Therefore I will have all my tips for the Greater Hickory region placed under Hickory. I will not separate tips out for the smaller towns of Taylorsville or Lenoir or Claremont, for example... They'll be filed under Hickory until the day comes when the Hickory pages have to compete with Morganton, or dare I say Taylorsville (a dry county no less!!!)... at which time I'll separate my tips out accordingly. I'll always point out where the location is in my tips if it is not in Hickory proper.

I love my little hometown, but I won't kid you or myself. We really are a small town with big heart. But we are a small town!

Enjoy my musings and tips...

• Pros:It's pretty, quiet, filled with good people! And there is a CHICO'S!
  • Cons:You better get a street map. Oy! Two Words: COUNTRY ROADS!
  • In a nutshell:Lovely by Day, Serene by Night... you should visit!
  • Last visit to Hickory: Dec 2006
  • Intro Updated Jun 8, 2008

• riorich55's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2011 at 9:20 AM

My wife and I took our first trip to the Carolina's back in the fall of 2009. Spent 3 nights at a wonderful B & B in Waynesville, N.C.

• johngayton's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Ah! So this is where the hickory smoke flavour comes from - HA! Good restaurant tips tho' - 94/100 is good but yep 101??

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2010 at 8:50 AM

I really enjoyed the cool dude with the OLD HAT. He explained to me that he was told to dress casual. I knew I should have worn overalls and a red plaid shirt.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2010 at 6:11 PM

The Red Roof Inn was perfectly fine but the clerk cracked me up when she suggested that we should eat at Texas Roadhouse because we wouldn't, like, want to go somewhere we didn't know...

• chocolatecake's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Hi Patty, beautiful picturesque Hickory, I enjoy the big flavour of tranquility in a small town! Have a lovely day! :0)

• Dec 27, 2009 at 6:33 PM

help me plz i dont drive the hop from clt dose not go to days inn hickory need public bus info

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I lived in Charlotte and came to Hickory many times for furniture show. Great town if you look into it all.

• shohman's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2008 at 7:32 AM

I thought of Bubba jr last night as I pour red wine demi on my 12 oz strip :)~

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Mar 16, 2008 at 7:06 PM

Nice place, Larry's parents like the products of the local shop Hickory Farms, here.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 2:15 PM

furniture reflect personality of maker, and I guess you reflect your hometown's personality too ;-)))

Hexepatty Lives Here!

Hexepatty

“Anywhere is home if you want it to be!”

Badges & Stats in Hickory

Have you been to Hickory?

Latest Activity in Hickory