"When offered to go to Kuwait..." Top 5 Page for this destination Kuwait by Hexepatty

Kuwait Travel Guide: 524 reviews and 1,346 photos

Buildings...

...I jumped at the chance. First Class pretty much guaranteed and Quentin was paying (Uh.... you are paying, right darling???) I wasn't going to say no. Soothing the naysayers wasn't too challenging... (Americans not knowing geography that well) and yet there were still some concerns: strict religious policies, no booze, no fun per se. Traveling with a guy that is neither a husband nor brother. Just a bud - but an opposite sex bud. Knowing that hotels COULD be a bit of a challenge in light of our non-marital status, we opted for and were successful with Couchsurfing.com for lodging! (See my hotel tip for more on this fab website!)

Click Here: 35 Second YouTube video - Our drive through the Kuwaiti Desert!

Camels

Sandbox with new toys (buildings and plenty of 'em!) that is hot and yet has one coastal border with the Persian Gulf. That could be a description.

People

Nice people... from what I could see. Everyone smiled at least... At least I'd like to think the women were smiling at me from under their burqa's. I'll pretend they were at any rate.

Oh - their petro is .60 cents a gallon. We filled our car rental for a grand, whopping $6.00 US dollars. It was on empty, mind you...

Didn't we help them win their war against Iraq back in '91? They should share some love with us. All I'm saying...

NOTE: Quentin and I are not your normal travelers. We "SPEED TRAVEL" for lack of a better phrase or term. He works for the airlines and can fly for pretty much free, but time is limited. As a result he likes to see as much as he can in as little time as possible. The perks of flying with him are great: reduced rate travel and typically in first or business class on those long hauls were you really want first or businss class. The negatives: buckle up and be ready to see all you can see during every waking moment. Swear that man has ADD and/or I'm slowing down or both, but... still I wouldn't have missed this trip for the world. We started in Kuwait (one day) went to Dubai (one day) and then Istanbul (three days.)

That said, we were in Kuwait from Friday 5pm and departed at 6:30pm on Saturday. Just about 24 hours. Our first evening we went to Fintas where our host was located. Since we rented a car, once we met our host, Katherine, she gave us an informal evening tour of the town just south of Fintas in Fahaheel.

We woke up around 4:30am the next morning (Saturday) and proceeded to drive as far south as the Saudi Border. (There is a 'not so brilliant' / bone headed / 'Lucy and Ethel' moment story related to this, but I'll spare you the details. See my warnings!) We traveled as far North East as possible: Sabiyah & Bubyan Bridge (See my warnings again!) and on the return we stopped in Jahra, Kuwait City & Salimiyah.

At this point we headed to the car rental / airport for our departure to Dubai, UAE.

Having a car rental REALLY is the way to do this place. And sure, you will read how "crazy" they drive. And they do. But no worse than Italy, Brazil, Mexico City or Boston.

And Allah knows: the petro is cheap. I'd recommend seeing the country this way if you have limited time and like to see as much as possible!

Just don't decide to pop into Saudi Arabia unless you are prepared. (See my Warning!)

• Pros:Buildings, Camels, People
  • Cons:Heat, sand, never feeling like you are covered ENOUGH!
  • In a nutshell:Go. Once. Go Once Anywhere, eh???
  • Last visit to Kuwait: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Jun 19, 2007

• tropicrd's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2011 at 7:38 PM

How sad this place is deserted!!! it looks so great--I have never thought about visiting Kuwait but may change my mind after reading your pages and tips.

• Court94403's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Nice tips! Always wanted to go to Kuwait, you make it look quite easy to get around!

• Sep 2, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Hi there, concerning the WIB, it was funny FOR me since as a kuwaiti woman, i know that they only represent a few traditional beduin women, oh and it has nothing 2 do with allah since it is forbidden in islam 2 cover the face

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2008 at 10:21 AM

Great pictures... I hope to be able to visit one of these Middle East countries one day, they always interest me, thanks for the tips!!

• cpiers47's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2008 at 7:31 AM

Hope you enjoy your next speedy trip! Best of luck choosing a great place!

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2008 at 2:17 PM

Great reading - and slice of life here - love the delving into buying crocs!am off to Kuwait on Sat -will have 24 hours to myself and a bit bewildered how to spend it...

• MikeStarr5's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2007 at 11:07 AM

Excellent tips and pics - Well Done - I have to say that I really like your matter-of-fact, jokey style of writing - makes a nice change - As Arnie says "I'll be back!" - From Mike in that forgotten, very historic, suburb of London called "Barking Town".

• morgandk's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Great modern Q-Wait page! I will point my old one to yours.

• RafaelTheSecond's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2007 at 6:39 AM

"Kuwait and the Emirate are islands of pleasure in a very reserved ocean of cultures ocean." If you know what I mean, and there are beautiful beaches in the countryside!

• Fullmoonfever's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2007 at 6:51 PM

yeah, if they were smart, they might actaully begin to say, hey, you can call this a bunker but it sure looks like a hole in the ground. Cant have that!

Hexepatty

“Anywhere is home if you want it to be!”

Badges & Stats in Kuwait