"Where?" Fushun by Yso

Fushun Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 46 photos

Glorious Fushun

I'm in Fushun, in liaoning province for a year, teaching english. One of the questions a lot of the students ask me is "why Fushun" and it's a very good question...

Fushun is famous for it's open coalmine and it's steel works - not a great place to spend a year you may be thinking.

In fact, I didn't choose Fushun, but it more or less chose me, as I didn't know where to go in China to teach, but I didn't want to go to a big city.

Fushun is a pretty old and polluted city, although they're trying to do something about that..

The school that I work in is a state run school that is one of the best in the area, which is why they can afford a foreign teacher. The buildings are all new and I have a fantastic flat in the school buildings. I actually feel a little guilty about this as the other teachers are 3 to a room with shared bathrooms...

Its true that Fushun city doesn't have al ot going for it, but since I came here to teach and learn chinese then I'm not too worried.

Having said that, the surrounding countryside is lovely (lots of litttle hills), and some of the older buildings in town have a certain kind of charm

• Pros:Friendly and cheap
  • Cons:Dirty and unnattractive
  • In a nutshell:OK to live, but not for the tourists
  • Last visit to Fushun: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Jan 14, 2004

• Confucius's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2006 at 1:56 AM

There is a Fushun VT member on my friends list. Not many tourists visit this town. Glad you liked it!

• urban4est's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2004 at 9:29 AM

I spent a very nice day in Fushun. In addition to coal for energy the mines are a source for art in Fushun. Carvers make lovely statues of the Jet and small carvings from the amber. There were also stores selling beautiful Jade pots and fish bowls.

Yso

“At the age of 37, she realised she'd never ride thru Paris in a sports car, with the warm wind in her hair”

Badges & Stats in Fushun