"Where the Wall meets the sea" Shanhaiguan by Yso
Shanhaiguan Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 37 photos
Shanhaiguan is tiny. It's an old fortress city and most of the walls are still standing. It's also the place where the Great Wall meets the sea. Although there are a fair amount of chinese tourists, not a lot of Westerners seems to make it there.
Inside the walls the city is built on the hutong layout (low structures bult around courtyards, giving on to narrow lanes). The banks and train station are in the more modern part of town outside the south gate.
Its easy to walk around as the town is so small. The old city is nearly free of motorised traffic and you can wander in the lanes and try to sneak a peek into the courtyards
- Pros:Small and manageable
- Cons:A bit out of the way
- In a nutshell:Very very nice
The restaurant/Baozi bakery also does take aways. The Baozi are delicious and you will have to queue for up to half an... more travel advice
The restaurant provides basic accomodation for people on a budget. Rooms are very basic but less than 100 Yuan. more travel advice
Yso's Related Pages
Shanhaiguan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The End of the Wall"
- "Where the Wall meets the sea"
- "Shanhaiguan, where Great Wall meets Yellow Sea"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shanhaiguan
- 7 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Shanhaiguan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shanhaiguan
Top 10 Pages
- Madrid Intro, 22 reviews, 22 photos, 2 travelogues
- Fushun Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Xi'an Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Lyon Intro, 18 reviews
- Beijing Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos, 3 travelogues
- Harbin Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Dengfeng Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Jaipur Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Bolivia Intro, 5 reviews, 3 photos
- Dalian Intro, 7 reviews