"Groningen, a city I love!" Top 5 Page for this destination Groningen by sim1

Groningen Travel Guide: 423 reviews and 1,067 photos

I hope you will enjoy reading this page!
Please leave me a comment what you think about it! :-))

Please read this page in 'authors order' as I mostly write my pages not only as
separate tips, but with a story-line in it.

All the photos on this travelpage are taken by me or by Åke (former VT-member Akeke), unless otherwise stated.
Please do not use any of them without permission.

• Last visit to Groningen: Apr 2005
  • Intro Updated Sep 15, 2005

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I looked at your Groningen tips once before, in 2009, but I have just had another look since I have been to Groningen in the meantime and have finally made a Groningen page of my own here on VT. I’d be grateful if you could look at my new Groningen page sometime and tell me if I have made any silly mistakes.
    Here in Frankfurt the children also celebrate St. Martin’s Day on the 11th of November. They make their own lanterns in kindergarten or school and then walk around together as soon as it gets dark. They also have a song (to the same tune as the one in the Netherlands, I think) but the words are not about St. Martin, they are about the lanterns. Also in one of the Frankfurt parks there is always a big bonfire on St. Martin’s day.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2009 at 6:15 AM

Fine tips on your old home town. I've just read an article on Groningen called "The World's Cycling City" -- so I hope to visit there this summer. I love the Nederlands word "Schouwburg" for Theater.

• Apr 9, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Thanks! I want to go to Groningen straight away after reading your page. I notice that the webcam is changed. It is now here: rtvnoord.nl/home/home_webcam... and it doesn't show the Martinitower now, but instead the Grote Markt.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2009 at 1:34 PM

What a lovely page, I am definately going to use your tips as we are thinking of going there in June 2009 ;-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2006 at 2:08 AM

Hihi, I love that little St. Maartin girl :-)) Groningen looks so lovely, how good that they have restored that marvellous main station and the post office ! All so amazing !! I love your detail pics also, but haha, you know that :-)

• Karolina01's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2006 at 7:00 AM

A wonderful page about Groningen. What a nice city with many old caracter buidings.

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2005 at 4:46 AM

Wow, I have not been too far North in Netherlands - your tour looks great so perhaps next time I will make a days outing there from Amsterdam, thanks for sharing - Jo in London

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2005 at 4:25 AM

We were also thinking about visiting Groningen, but then we decided to move on to the seaside... Enjoyed my virtual visit, though!

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2005 at 1:25 PM

St. Martin,Lampions and big fires, gosh we needed that, was mostly cold that nite.that little blondie sure had a good time too, no wonder,Groningen's Jugendstil Bahnhof, I will never forget!!..but I don't know about the Frikadellen,veggie burger yes LOL

• Mikebond's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2005 at 8:46 AM

Groningen is really beautiful! I must visit it when I go to NL. I really want to see the railway station!

sim1 Was Born Here!

sim1

“Forever smiling :-)”

Badges & Stats in Groningen

Have you been to Groningen?

Latest Activity in Groningen